0 5

chapter five: i've been thinking bout you

THE DAY HAD started out to be nice in the beginning. Autumn was finally rolling around so the leaves were falling down, leaving the trees bare. Melanie had dragged Ethan all the way to the peach tree farm a little bit out of the way from town to get a couple good pictures. "We really had to take pictures all the way out here? Why not in my back yard?" Ethan asked, grumpier than usual.

Ethan and Melanie had gotten way closer in the past few weeks since he was the only normal person she hung out with. Rue, Jules, Ashtray and Fezco always had something going on; Ethan was just plain and simple. He gave her a clear head and a piece of mind.

Melanie gave him a sympathetic smile, "Sorry but this place looks great and it said it was going to be raining the whole week. I needed to come out and see if for myself." The place they had went to was like an orchard. Not only were there lots of leaves but the trees were filled with fresh apricots. It was beautiful.

Ethan instantly felt bad for being that way and apologized. "I know, you've been talking about it for a few days. I'm sorry I've just been a little tired from work." Melanie walked a little bit further up and the stopped in her spot, sitting down. This signaled him to lower down to her level and start taking shots with his camera.

Mel smiled for the camera, getting in different sitting positions and then ended up laying down in the pile of red, yellow and orange, crunchy leaves. Ethan walked over her and started to get pictures from above.

"Make sure you can see the sweater. That's what they sent me to wear," she reminded him and he nodded, telling her when to pull her sweater more out and even made her put the hoodie on and off.

Ethan got all his material and sat down next to Melanie, them selecting which one was good and which one was bad. Melanie grabbed his camera and even started snapping a couple of him which came out pretty good for a newbie like her and even some of both of them.

"Thanks for taking me out here, E. You're a good friend," Melanie told him and he smiled. "No problem. I actually don't regret it as much anymore."

The two sat down side by side each other and looked at the shining sun. It was beautiful out here and it was cool because no one was there so they really got to enjoy the whole scenery without any distractions.

Ethan decided to start up a conversation by asking her a question, "Hey Mel, this is random, but I was wondering if you knew who Kat was?"

Melanie looked over at him and nodded. Katherine Hernandez, was one of her good friends when she was younger. They would play Barbie's, paint each other's nails and do the regular girly things that 8 year olds did but once Mel moved away to New York, Kat started chilling with Maddy and Cassie and they drifted apart. "Of course I do. Kat was one of my friends, I mean, we aren't close anymore but we are still cool." Ethan took the information and looked up at the sky.