0 6

chapter six: the mistake of a confession

ETHAN GAVE MELANIE a spare umbrella before dropping her off in front of the store. She exited the car, saying a quick goodbye and rushed to Fezco's gated door. With the umbrella in one hand, she went up to his door. Melanie was about to use the other to pound on the door but before she could even touch it, it opened, revealing Fezco's mini him, Ashtray.

His face was usually always the same but she noticed that he wasn't chipper like usual. Something was up.

"Hey Ash, I'm here for Fez," she told him but from the look on his face, it was like he already knew. Ashtray picked up the black walkie talkie in his desk and talked into it. "Melanie is here. Ima' take a walk."

"Copy," Fez responded through the walkie and Mel took the umbrella closing it and wrapping it up, laying it against the wall. Coming to Fezco's house always brought back good memories. Before Rue was a addict and Mel was filled with less worry.

On the wall she noticed at picture of them. A selfie she had took last year of the three of them. Rue on the right, Fez on the left and Melanie right in the middle. It was at a party and she knew they were both high out of their minds while Fezco was basically babysitting them.

She noticed how in the off guard picture, Rue was actually smiling. With her teeth an all, something Mel hadn't seen in so long. Melanie was laughing, her face a little red and her teeth baring at the camera. Fezco had his arm around her and was laughing too, his small gap looking so prominent. He was another person who rarely smiled as well; Especially with his teeth.

She chuckled at memory of that picture and continued walk into his home until she got to the living. She quickly took off her shoes so she wouldn't leave any wetness on the ground and took her cream colored hoodie off which was already damp from the rain. She noticed Fez sitting on one of his two couches and he nodded at her in a "what's up," motion.

"I'm here for the phone," she smiled and after taking off her shoes came over to him and sat on the couch in front of him.

Fezco had a pretty decent poker face an could usually see when he was happy to see her. This wasn't one of those times. His jaw seemed tensed up, with look of deep thought.

Nervousness creeped up from her spine. Fez got up and gave her Rue's phone and sat back down on the couch. "I got something to tell you, and you ain't gonna like it." He said. She knew it was something bad.

Melanie swallowed, "alright... what is it?"

"Rue was here earlier, you know... for the usual... and I was trying to kick her out because my guys was coming around. But her crazy ass didn't leave fast and had to say. My dealer forced Rue to take some drugs and she was knocked out." Melanie didn't know how to feel. From what it sounded, it didn't seem like, "his guys," were cool like him. All she could think about was if Rue... Well, if she was dead.