Chapter Eighteen

"Sometimes, I just have to let her win, because losing the argument is easier than losing her."

-------------------------------

I pulled away when the lure became unbearable. Our breaths mimicked each other with heaviness. I closed my eyes savoring the moment once more before reality crashes in. “We should get going.” He whispered, his cheeks turning crimson.

“Yeah, we must.” I replied breathlessly.

What was I doing? I had to focus on the pack.

My eyes hurt and my legs were sore from the constant walking, and with him here now, I knew I would be drained and the bond would suck the last tad of energy I contained.

“Do you want to rest for a while?” He asked.

“Not now Agustin. We need to find the waterfall.”

“Are you still insisting on this?” He furrowed his eyebrows. I raised mine and replied sternly, “Sure I am!”

He sighed, “Vivienne, you can’t be serious; we may never find them at all.”

“I need to believe.”

He kept silent as we moved forward, my eyes still burning to the map I held. I needed to picture it, I needed to see the waterfall in my mind and hear the droplets of water from the sculpted rocks. I needed to believe that I would find it.

Agustin let out a gasp and I involuntary grasped my blade steadily in my hands. I turned to look at Agustin, but he was nowhere to be found. I stood worriedly between the greeneries, my feet digging to the soil. Until, I felt his warm hands hold mine and pull me between the bushes.

There were dry rocks sulking in the sun that rose high. A single streak of water sprouted from it. The waterfall? Agustin answered the questions. “I think it is the waterfall, the map must have been really old.”

“Yes.” I replied taking in my sceneries. Agustin walked ahead of me crouching in front of the waterfall, he placed his rough and dirty hand under the running water. The water mixed with the blood and soil turning it a brownish red. I watched him as he captured some water in the palms of his hand and walked to me raising the water to my mouth. I reluctantly took a sip of water, my lips slightly burnt at the contact with his skin, making the water warmer.

“Thank you.” I said. He smiled, a sincere and heartfelt smile that drizzled coziness in me. “I think that we should stay here for a while.” I suggested.

“Yes.” He spoke his cold breath tickling my ear. I moved my hand cautiously towards his arm to retrieve my back. I stopped half way and stepped back. His eyes met mine with concern and he said, “Try. It might not hurt this time.”

I listened and reached for the strap of my bag, I slided the bag down his shoulder, and he kept staring at my movements, watching. It slung down and hung on his bare arms now. My skin touched his and a rising pain bashed in me making me jump away with a shriek. He shook his head in defeat and dropped the bag to the floor. We got the answer. I should avoid him for now.

I bent down to grab the bag, and caught a glimpse of him as he walked the furthest from me. I walked the other way, towards the waterfall, my knees shaking. The water soothed me a little and I tried to control my breathing and maintain my heartbeats. I took out a grey hoodie out of my bag and wore it above my lose shirt.

A rustle between the trees next to me alarmed me. Before I had time to react, a large brown wolf pinned me to the ground his claws digging vigorously into my pale skin. I urged my wolf to shift but she didn’t comply. I tilted my head to the side escaping his teeth snapping. I noticed a black curved line on his back. The Perilous.

All the life drained out of me as I noticed that they found me. I heard another frightening growl and the brown wolf was pushed away from me roughly. It was Agustin’s wolf. His wolf was a shining silver gray and he lunged at the brown one mercilessly. The brown wolf barked at Agustin and managed to slit his right cheek. Agustin’s growls resounded but the brown wolf escaped his arms swiftly and attacked me. My body was thrown to the ground and wolf pushed me forcefully to the ground. “Let me go!” I snapped. My limps ached and the situation was horrific. The brown wolf’s dark eyes stared into mine dangerously. I almost whimpered at my helplessness and my non ability to shift.

Agustin appeared from the side and dragged me away. His sudden touch made me cry out and he cringed at the sound. Doesn’t he know that he still can’t touch me? The brown wolf took this as a chance as he tried to lunge for me again. His  disgusting drool fell on my skin as he neared closer to me. Agustin froze in his place as he couldn’t take me away. The brown wolf dodged all his moves and Agustin could no longer comprehend what he could see. The world spinned and I knew he could feel my pain as the brown wolfs teeth bit down on my left arm. Agustin whimpered and crashed to the ground. My eyes shut and I could no longer see. I could only feel pain, pain, pain all over again.

This bond couldn’t save me.

------------------------------

THANK YOU ALL FOR MAKING ME REACH 1.6 K READS!

KEEP IT UP AND I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!

The author,

-Lea