Weekend With Jona

It was our first weekend of going to Jona's house. We pulled up to a small trailer that sat outside a fenced pasture for horses.
     There was a beautiful brown horse standing by the fence. I walked up to it and slowly pet down its neck.
     " Is he yours?" I ask Jona

" No, they belong to my landlady." She said. " But we can pet them and ride them or feed them whenever we want.

"That's cool." I said.

"Ya, maybe we can ride tomorrow if y'all want to." She offered smiling.

We walked into the house and we were met with two Chihuahuas. They were so cute.
  " This is peppi." Jona said holding up a small black and white dog with short little legs. "And  this one is pretty girl." She didn't really look like a Chihuahua she was short really fat and had a bulldog face. To me she looked more like a French bulldog.
They were so sweet.
    Jonas house was small but nice and it was clean. I put my bag down in the living room and made my way around the house. I walked down the hall looking for the bathroom when I came to the first door I opened it to find a bedroom. It appeared to be used as a storage room. I shut the door and walked on down the hall. The next door was the bathroom. I went in and took care of business. As I was washing my hands I noticed a black choker laying the counter. It was made of cloth with a small golden cross pendant on it. I thought it was beautiful. I picked it up and held it up to my neck I couldn't really tell what it would look like on me so I unfastened the clasp and wrapped it around my neck. The door opening made me jump. I turned to see Jona standing there looking at me. I laid the necklace back on the counter quickly.

" I was just seeing what it would look like." I told her hoping it hadn't made her mad " I wasn't going to take it."

  She just smiled at me and walked over to me. She picked up the necklace wrapped it around my neck and hooked the clasp.
" You like it?" She asked pulling my hair behind me and looking at me in the mirror. 
" I think it's very pretty." I said as I stood there looking back at her reflection. I didn't really look much like her. I had her hazel blue eyes and fair skin but where her hair was dirty blonde and straight mine was dark brown with annoying waves. I had my  dads high cheekbones and facial structure.

" I want you to have it." She said

"Really?" I asked I wasn't sure if she was serious she had never given me anything.

" Yup. Now let's go fix dinner." She said and led me back to the living room with everyone else.

After dinner we all sat in the living room watching TV. I got bored pretty quickly I wasn't one for watch TV. I was more of a reader. So I quietly got up and made my way back down the hall to the room I had seen earlier. I walked in and shut the door easily trying not to make any noise.

  I started nosing around in the boxes that were scattered on the floor. I opened one box to find letters written to Jona. I probably shouldn't have read them but I wanted to know who she was. Since I hadn't spent much time with her after she gave us up I really didn't know who she was.

I read letter after letter from her now husband Donald. Telling her how beautiful she was and how crazy he was about her. How much he missed her when they weren't together. Then the letters to him about her feelings for him and missing him.

I wondered if she ever thought about us or missed us over the many years that she hadn't seen us. One day I'll get the chance to ask her all my questions. Just not now. Jena was so happy. She was having the time of her life with Jona. I would leave it alone for now. Lost in my own thoughts I didn't notice the door had opened I turned and saw Donald standing in the door. It scared the crap out of me.
  He had a grin like the Grinch when he came up with his stealing Christmas plan.

"What you doing." He asked sitting down beside me.

"I just got bored of watching TV." I replied.

" These are letters between your mom and me before we got married." He said .

" Oh ok." Was all I said in return.

"Your quiet" he said " and like to be alone huh?" He asked

"Um... Sometimes. But I think I'm gonna go back to the living room now. Sorry for looking through your stuff." I said and left him and went back to watch TV with Jona ,Jess and Jena.

After Jona and Donald went to bed my sisters and I sat up talking.

"So what do y'all think?" I asked

" It's OK." Jess said "It's nice to have her back around."

" Yea she's different than I thought she would be." I said Jess nodded her head.

" I love her and I wish I could stay forever." Jena added. We just smiled at her.

      The next day we all got up and went to see the horses. We took apples out to give them. The brown horse came back to the fence. I stepped up on the fence to get closer to his head and run my hand over his jaw and down his neck.
  I thought he was the most amazing animal I had ever seen.
  " This is Tugs, he is the best one to ride. Let's get a saddle on him and give him a run." Jona said and she whistled.

Tugs walked right beside her on the other side of the fence all the way to the barn. They put the saddle and reins on him then he was ready to go. We took turns riding him. It was fun but the bouncing made my butt hurt worse than riding a bike. 

  Jess was the last one to ride him and they let her take him on her own. On the way back to the barn something happened and Tugs started running. I could hear Jess screaming and saw that she was holding on for dear life. Tugs wasn't slowing down. I couldn't think of anything to do to help. All I could think about was Jess getting hurt. Then I done the stupidest thing I could have done. I step out in front of him. He was heading straight for me.

" Jayla move he will run over you." Jona screamed at me but I couldn't he had to stop so I stood there waiting and as he got right before me I yelled "Tugs stop!"

Surprisingly to everyone he stopped. If I had been taller we would have been almost nose to nose. Yes it could have went a completely different way but it didn't. Thank God.

" I will never ride that horse again!" Jess cried. I didn't blame her I didn't think I would either.

" You don't ever step out in front of a running horse. They will trample you." Jona yelled

I just walked over to Jess thankful that she was OK. The rest of the day was spent doing a whole lot of nothing. After dinner that night we all sat and watched Cujo. Then when it was bed time we were terrified.

" You know the neighbor across the field has a dog just like Cujo." Donald said " Hope he don't show up tonight."
With that he went to bed.

Jess, Jena and I didn't sleep at all that night. We could hear a dog howling somewhere outside. We just laid and listened all night.

  The next morning we got up and got our things ready for the hour drive back home. When we got home I ran in to hug mama then my plan was to take a nap. I laid in my bed and thought about our weekend with the long lost Jona.
  It definitely had it's crazy parts. And I get a creepy feeling about Donald but all and all....It was kinda nice.
  Then I went to sleep.

I'm sorry but Wattpad is acting stupid for me after this chapter should be loosing Jess but for some reason it's two chapters down. Everything else is on place