Planned Kidnapping

It had been a few months since I broke Jena's leg. It was healing slowly they said but it was healing. They had cut the cast down below the knee. She could now take herself to the bathroom. Thank God.

Mama and Winston had been seeing one another. He was an good guy. He was the living definition of a southern mountain man. With his strong country accent and overalls. Mama was staying at his house tonight. Jess was at (a) Dad's house and since she won't be home until tomorrow Jena and I were staying in the spare room.

In this room he had a record player. I was looking through his records and I came across Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty. She was my favorite singer. I could almost sing just like her. I put the record on the wheel, turned it on and set the needle. Conway's voice came through the speakers. Jena sang his parts and I'd song Loretta.

"Louisiana woman" Jena sang in her deepest voice

" Mississippi man" I cut in I'm my best Loretta cover voice.

"We get together every time we can."

We sang the whole song like that and laughed at each other through it all. All of a sudden Jena's leg spasmed and curled up. It was painful and she couldn't lay her leg down on her own. The doctor said it was because of her leg being in the full cast for so long. I took her leg and gently eased it down for her. Once it released she was fine again.

It was late and everyone was asleep.
Jena's leg spasmed again and she woke up screaming in pain. I jumped up to help her. Mama comes in the room and she's mad.

"Some people have to get up early and go to work. Now y'all need to take your asses to sleep." She said

I was hold Jena's leg with one hand and rubbing it with the other trying to get it to release.

" We were asleep mama." I said without realizing how snappy I was being. " She had a spasm."

Mama gave her some medicine and we went back to sleep.

I laid there and felt so sorry for her and guilty because of what she was going through. I wish it had been my leg that had gotten broke instead of hers. Jena wasnt one that took pain very well. Even when we would get in trouble and got a switching I would always cover for Jena when I could. Physical pain even then didn't bother me like the others. I didn't like it I just felt numb to it. Emotional pain now that was a different story. I would torment myself with my own thoughts. Especially when I felt like I had failed or hurt my brothers or sisters.

The next day Jena went home with (b)  dad. Jess had came back home and was going over to one of her friends house. I asked mama if I could go to Mary's house. She was a friend of mine from the trailer park. I spent many days at her house while I was at (a) dad's house. She said I could and she took me there. Mama told Mary's dad she didn't want me running to the motel while I was there. I had planned to stay three days with them.

That night after dinner Mary, her family and I were sitting in the living room. Her mother had asked me to sing a gospel song for her and I was more than happy to do it. Singing was my passion. When I finished she said " you are a very special child Jayla."

" Thank you, Mrs Laura" I replied

" Oh no honey call me mom." She said

"And you can call me Dad."Mary's father said " yup you are very special, all you need is a family that sees it and loves you."

What is going on here? What are they talking about? I have a family that loves me.

" What would you think about that?" Mrs Laura asked me bringing me out of my thoughts.