2| hello Darcy

The little girl opened her eyes as soon as the screaming started and she couldn't fathom where it was coming from until the disorientation from waking up started to bleed away.

The loud, tortured wails of a woman crying came from directly beneath her and she knew those sounds from anywhere.

They were her mother's.

Acting on pure reflex and no thought, she hopped out of bed, not even feeling the iciness of the floor as she made her way to the doorway, the screams continuing in both the far background where the intangibility made it seem as if this wasn't happening to her but also in the forefront of her mind where the tortured wails were so deep and prominent that she wanted to claw her ears off just to rid this torment.

'I'm coming mummy', she chanted in her head and she hoped she wouldn't be too late.

Everything was pitch black in her room and her little white nightgown flowed behind her like a ghost. She knew something was wrong even when the crying stopped and so she rushed out into the corridor, aiming to help her mother whom she loved more than anything in this world.

Her eyes, still dreary from just waking up, struggled to find the staircase clearly. Her foot stepped too far out and she held in her cry as she tumbled down a couple of steps, landing in a heap at the middle landing and snapping something in the process.

When she tried to stand up, she found that her little foot was twisted weirdly but she could barely feel it and continued down to her mother. She didn't want to be too late; she knew something was wrong.

She had always loved her big house with its wide corridors but at this moment of time, she thought of it more like a curse, hating the fact that she had to walk too long to get to her mother.

When she got to the corridor that led to the dining room where she was absolutely sure she heard the cries were coming from, she walked determinedly, not sure what she was going to see but absolute in resolve to protect her mother.

As her hands touched the door and pushed it open slowly but firmly, her mouth opened agape in horror at what she saw.

Her mother's tear-stricken, hopeless face was purpling by the second as her father held her throat in a crushing, violent grip with such an unforgiving, all-consuming anger that emanated from him.

She couldn't help but freeze and watch the scene around her, never having seen something so scary and horrid her whole life, rendering the little girl speechless.

Before she could do anything, her sweet mother who prior would never hurt a fly, grabbed the butcher knife that seemingly she was trying to get hold off and in a subsequent motion, plunged it into her father's chest with no hint of hesitance at all.

Everything stopped at that moment.

She couldn't tell if this was reality or some sick dream.

When her father's eyes finally found hers, she stepped back at the force of the venom in his stare, unable to look away.

The blood poured from the gaping hole in his chest in a continuous flow and when he took his last breath and his chest didn't move up again, she continued to stare into his cold, now lifeless eyes.

Her butt hit the floor painfully as the innocent, rose-tinted world that she knew fell around her.

And it wasn't just her father that lost his heart and his last breath but the little girl too the same exact day.