29| disappearing smoke

DARCY

After I told them everything, they were in a state of shock.

There was only silence in the deserted parking lot, seemingly in tune with the darkness that the ending of the day brought, harmoniously working together.

Recounting the story, my eyes never left Dorran's for this was mainly about me, him and our families and I worried about the lack of emotion in his gaze. I tried to mentally give him strength as the retelling of his mother's death probably brought back up a lot of pain and demons from his past but he had to hear it. They all did.

When I was finished, they all just looked at me with disbelief and shock in their eyes and I didn't blame them. I was still trying to wrap my head around it and it would take me a lot longer than the run from my father's house which still felt abnormally strange saying.

Dorran's gaze was unidentifiable though and a fear grew inside of me, wondering if this was all too much for him, a trigger to send him back to his old ways that told him to hate me for my connection to it all. I wanted to go to him and shake him, shake some emotion into his eyes as he just stood there staring at me but also staring at nothing, thinking.

"So let me get this straight," Lennox said, bringing my eyes away from Dorran and to him, "Your father who wasn't really your father's twin brother who was actually your father hired the stalker for your safety after his ex-girlfriend and her boyfriend turned psycho because they were jealous?"

I was about to agree with all of that, despite how weird it sounded when he started talking again.

"And now he's forcing you to live with him and we don't know when but the stalker who is called Zane is going to kidnap you again and take you there?"

My mouth opened, ready to confirm to clear up any confusion when Reed interrupted me and yet again I was forced to close my mouth, looking like a goldfish.

"Yes, you airhead," he said but not harshly, sending kind eyes my way which portrayed how happy he was to see I was safe. His gaze warmed me up from the harsh wind that passed us.

Lennox just scoffed in retaliation, muttering underneath his breath, "Sorry if I got a little confused."

I almost laughed at his childish expression but I didn't because in the next moment, without saying anything, Dorran turned around and left. His figure quickly moulded into the darkness, instantly being hidden by the shadows.

I looked at his closest friends, Archer and Marcelo who both had dismayed expressions on their faces.

"He just needs to be alone," Marcelo said, his usual, evil smirk gone.

My eyes turned back to Dorran's retreating body and without thinking about it or looking at the others to see what they would think, I followed after him.

The car park was dark and although I had been kidnapped from this exact place, I wasn't scared as I navigated through the space, following Dorran who was walking quite quickly with his large strides, leaving me struggling to keep up.

I was about to shout for his name to stop so that I could catch up before I lost him but instead of walking some more, I saw his body slow down and then stop in front of the school's main doors on the steps.

Even though he stopped, I didn't as I walked to where he was.

He didn't look up at me but I knew he knew I was here.

Without either of us saying anything, I sat by his looming frame on the steps, not knowing what I was doing but feeling that this was the right thing to do.