31| second birthday surprise

As I stood by myself a bit longer, trying to contain my delight at the variety of party guests, someone popped into my mind.

Dorran.

His friends were here and yet I hadn't seen him all night.

Although tonight had been special, the mind-numbing reality was that it didn't feel complete without him.

No longer wanting to stand here alone and suddenly dismayed for unidentifiable reasons, I made my way to the back exit, needing a little breather from the party.

I pushed open the door and the sudden attack of the cold breeze that swayed underneath the darkened skies sent chills all across my body but I embraced it. It felt nice.

I made my way to the edge of the porch and rested my arms on the barrier, just breathing and watching the dark skies in a peaceful satisfaction.

After a moment of standing, a strange sensation overtook me as I felt another presence beside me.

I turned around to identify who it was and I was taken aback to see the boy I had been thinking about who was standing out here too at the other end of the porch, leaning on the railing just like I was.

Dorran.

He wasn't looking at me so I could've turned around and gone back in but I hadn't that choice. As if pulled by some invisible force that dared me to go against it, my feet made their way to his figure that was illuminated only by the lights on the bar. His shoulders looked strong and large and his profile sharp, dangerously alluring everyone in his sight.

When I was close, he turned around at the sound of my footsteps and when he did, I stopped on my path to him.

His head was downcast so his eyes landed on my feet first at the trainers I had chosen instead of those ridiculous shoes and they slowly made their way up, analysing every part of me.

My body felt alive and painfully frozen as his steely gaze continued to examine me, heating when they got to my dress that hugged my body like a second skin.

His perusal didn't stop there for they went upwards and onwards, reaching my chest and they paused there. For a second I thought he was staring at my cleavage but after a moment of realisation, I understood that he was staring at the necklace. With one look into his eyes that held pride and admiration, I instantly knew that it was Dorran that had given me this present.

After several moments on the necklace, his eyes finally reached mine and I wanted to step back from the intensity of the very profound something in his eyes that emanated from him like a beacon, shooting straight to my heart.

The look made me want to stay back and get closer at the same time. I couldn't decide.

It was as if he made that decision for me because, in the next second, his body approached mine. He walked so smoothly and powerfully, demanding all my attention until he was inches away from me. I became shielded from the darkness underneath his strong body that smelt so clearly of a warm masculinity as I stared up at him and he stared down.

The intensity had grown in strength from where I was standing and never in my life had I felt so infinitely small and large at the same time as if his gaze was the one thing that blocked off the rest of the world, leaving me blind to everything but him.

I quickly averted my gaze so that I was looking into the cluster of trees that lined Tay's property. The view was beautiful but nowhere near as alluring as the one I had previously. Staring into the trees was much less intense and I felt like I could breathe a little better which was why I kept looking forward. Dorran had always managed to make me feel flustered but it was increasingly so in recent days and I didn't know what to do about it.