28| let's see the light

DORRAN

It was now Monday evening and I couldn't take it anymore.

Darcy was missing; I had felt it in my bones the Saturday Lennox had texted her and she hadn't replied but everyone else was unconvinced.

Well until today.

As the five of us stood in East Bridge's parking lot, a mist of worry surrounded as, almost mixing in with the fog of the day, blinding us all.

We stood next to her car which seemed dead and untouched. I had tracked her phone which led us to here in the first place, hoping that she'd be here but it was obvious that she wasn't.

"Where is she?" I heard Lennox ask with anxiety in his voice, sending the hair at the back of my head ramrod straight in tension.

I ignored him and his stupid, futile question which did nothing just highlight the hopelessness of this situation as I got on my knees and searched underneath her car. When I saw her phone, lying by one of the wheels, cracked and forgotten, I picked it up whilst standing, clenching the mobile in tight hands as I realised what this meant.

As the others stood and saw what I picked up, they all simultaneously became tighter with disconcertment whilst I watched the darkening skies, foreboding the darkness of Darcy's reality.

I had put a tracker on her phone in the first place so she could lead me to her father but now? I used it for her protection, unable to stop myself from shielding the one girl in my life that was becoming to mean so much to me. But as her phone lay in my hands, there was a dark pit in my stomach that made me realise that this was our only lead and a lost one at that.

There was so much mystery surrounding Darcy, seemingly so many people that were out to get her, it would be impossible to search them all and find the culprit that would lead us to her. She was in danger and yet there was nothing we could do, nothing at all. Hopelessness bled in my veins, leaving me numb to the harsh breeze of the ending day or even the others that started talking.

My mind was fixated on her.

Her big green eyes that were always so calculating, so intuitive, so smart. Her dark but light hair that framed her beautiful face, her rosy lips, her strength, her kindness, just everything about her.

Something between us had changed since that clearing beneath the moon, where I had told her my darkest secret. I felt lighter telling her, more connected to her and everything I had told her about me not thinking she was like her father was absolutely true. There was none of his darkness living inside his daughter that was so pure, so kind, so light and I had her know that. Which was why this was why nothing could happen to her now, I don't know what I'd do if something did. She meant too much to me; something I could now admit.

Despite the worry that was growing inside of my heart, freezing my insides, I forced myself to believe that it would all be fine. She was the strongest person I knew and she'd be fine.

And if she could be strong, I'd be now.

I couldn't fixate on the what-ifs. What if something had already happened to her? What if we were too late? What if she never came back?

I pushed it all from my mind as I focused on the surety inside me of Darcy's character, her strength to survive no matter what she went through and what she is still going through as I concentrated on what I could do to help her, even if it was such a little thing.

That thought brought my head back to the present to the parking lot underneath the darkening skies which held the sounds of bickering and arguing from Archer, Marcelo, Reed and Lennox around me.