39| happiness

The next couple of days passed quickly.

Telling the police what had happened in the room with Clarice had been hard. They all demanded me to tell them every single detail but all I wanted to do was erase that part of my life from my mind forever. Someone who was meant to love you unconditionally that would do something like that to their own daughter hurt. But I knew I had to if I wanted Clarice to stay away from me forever.

However, although it had been difficult to say my statement to the authorities, it was impossibly harder to tell me friends and family, to tell Dorran.

My father had stormed out the room, the visible rage shaking from his fixed shoulders. My friends who had come to visit me all seemed shocked at the turn of events, pity shooting out of their eyes, tearing me up. But Dorran? His reaction was perfect and it made my feelings for him even stronger.

He stayed by my side, listening to my every word and although I could see the anger in his features towards my mother, he stayed sat next to me, holding my hand tightly. No words but I didn't need them from him. His presence was enough to soothe me.

After a couple of days, someone from the authorities came to tell me that my mother was deemed mentally unhealthy and that she'd be treated at some ward in a town I had never heard of. I didn't make note because honestly, even though it might've been selfish of me to not support my mother when she was unhealthy, there was nothing inside of me that could face her ever again and not see the monstrosities that she had committed. I wanted her out of my life for good and hopefully she'd be treated and be well without me in her life.

The doctors also had come in to tell me that I was being discharged. Although my bullet wound had closed up a couple of days ago, they wanted to keep me in to monitor me a bit longer after the turn of events. They wanted me to rest.

And rest I did.

But now I was elated to finally being able to go home, albeit they were adamant that I took it easy for the next couple of weeks and my father nodded with them that I'd be doing exactly that, much to my dismay. I felt fine. I wanted to do something, to be free.

Nevertheless, I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Getting released from hospital was surreal.

Dorran and my father came to pick me up, hovering over me like I was a precious china doll and even though it was annoying me in great steads, I found it slightly endearing how cute they were being.

It was funny; I never thought I'd be calling Dorran or my father cute but hey, here it was.

When we got to the door, I saw lots and lots of people.

At first, I felt disorientated but when Dorran whispered in my ear, explaining that they were the media looking to catch the girl who had survived the shootings, it cleared it up a little.

I ignored the flashing lights to the best of my ability and the shouting people and Dorran's arms around me helped maintain the level of calm I needed to appear disinterested. My father took a different approach, screaming obscenities at any person holding a camera.

I wanted to laugh but the level of anger my father was in, I didn't think he'd appreciate it.

We got into the car with only a little scuffle and zoomed off, the drive home was peaceful and quiet. I enjoyed the feel of the wind from the window I had down to the max, ruffling my brown locks as I breathed in the outside I had so severely missed.

Dorran had held my hand the entire way.

When we got there, I almost had to blink twice at what was waiting for me.