26| the explanation

"This won't make any sense unless I start from the beginning."

All I did was stare at him and wait, not caring how he explained it, just that he did explain it.

When he looked towards me and saw my resolute expression, he sighed and his gaze turned haunted as if this was the last thing he wanted to recount but he knew he had to for me.

He took a deep breath.

"Okay, so you probably already know but my brother and I grew up here in Richview," he started, garnering my full attention as he got lost in the past for the second time tonight.

"First and foremost, I think it's vital I say that despite Mathew and I being twins and growing up in the same house, we were never close. I had always felt a dark feeling of resentment from him growing up that I questioned all the time but never looked into. Some siblings just weren't close and I tried to remind myself of that.

One person I could count on in those days, though, was my best friend, Thomas Thornton who had felt like my brother more than my own. His family, like mine, were one of the wealthiest in the town, making us equals of some sort and I loved him dearly."

The mention of Dorran's dad's name brought a jolt within me as I came to realise that Dorran and I's lives were much more interlinked than I had initially thought. Talking about Thomas seemed to make my father almost sorrowful, his words taking on this ambience as he continued.

"Thomas and I spent all our time together and even though Mathew was the same age as us, he just stayed away from us and kept to himself. At the time, I thought he didn't like Thomas but now, I've come to realise that it was me that he wanted to stay away from, not my best friend.

Thomas and I stuck to our own pretty much and things stayed like that for a while until he met a girl called Isabella and almost instantly became infatuated with her. They were polar opposites but they were perfect for each other and I could tell Thomas was madly and deeply in love with her."

I didn't see where he was going with this or how it could possibly explain anything but I wasn't going to interrupt and instead just wait and see. This was his explanation and I needed it.

"Isabella soon became part of our friendship group, the duo turning into a trio and as I spent more time with her, I came to know how great she was. She was funny, kind, helpful, forgiving, everything I aspired to be in a way. She fit in perfectly with us and we became family. I loved those two more than anyone in the world.

It was only on Mathew's and I's 18th birthday that things changed forever. If I could go back and change the event's of that night, I would."

I wanted to cover my ears and not listen to this part, so anxious to but I forced myself. I had to hear it.

"My parents threw my brother and me a birthday party and invited everyone important from town. They were snobby people, very materialistic and wanted to uphold their well-known and respected status which is the only reason why they threw the party in the first place, allowing them to display their wealth and riches.

My mother hated Isabella due to her financial status and always thought she was of such 'little importance and value', not even considering inviting her to the party. Because Isabella wasn't coming, Thomas had decided to not attend either. And because neither of my friends were going, I didn't want to. It was the last thing I wanted but my parents had a hold on me and forced my hand.

I promised myself that I'd only show up for a bit and then leave but that plan entirely vanished when I saw her, Clarice, your mother. And it's only now do I wish I had never met that woman.