Chapter 40

Thranduil's eyes fluttered open as the dawn crested the horizon, bathing the lands nestled at foothill of the mountainous kingdom in a golden shimmering light, though it did little to chase away the distinct chill of winter.

It's time to get up, he reflected with no amount of disinclination.

Thranduil glanced down at the peacefully sleeping Charlotte, who was currently snuggled close against his side. Her arm was curled over his chest, her palm resting straight over his heart, and Thranduil watched contentedly as soft breaths fluttered from her slightly parted lips. He brushed a loose strand of hair away from her face, carefully tucking it behind her ear, and smiled to himself as Charlotte nuzzled closer, mumbling something incoherent in her sleep.

A feeling of peace washed over him.

But he soon let out a weary sigh, knowing that he was going to have to give up the warmth of his bed, as well as the human who occupied it, and tend to his duties as King. For now, though, he would allow himself but a few quiet moments to enjoy this respite.

But this moment was short lived, and it was with great reluctance that he climbed out of bed, being careful not to wake Charlotte in the process. He paused when she stirred slightly, and he wondered if he had time enough to return back to bed and get lost in her for but a few moments.

Surely the kingdom could wait...

Charlotte's hand reached out blindly and Thranduil grinned broadly as she grabbed his pillow bought it close to her chest, cuddling into like a child would a comfort blanket as they slept.

Thranduil tore himself from the sight, knowing full well that if he did not leave now, he would happily remain in bed all day, seeking all kinds of carnal pleasures from his bond mate.

He paused at the thought, his hand curled around the doorknob of his closet.

His bond mate...

He could sense the sleepy contentment radiating from Charlotte like the pure rays of the sun, and he realized that for the first time in his life, he felt complete.

She had been the missing piece all along.

Thranduil pushed down his impulse to return to her side and entered his closet to get dressed. He selected a silver robe infused with cornflower blue stitching and designs, giving the elvish garment a starlight effect. He pulled on tall, dark leather boots that molded perfectly to his feet and blended in perfectly with his leggings. Lastly, he donned a matching cape that flared around his ankles, the rich material dragging over the floor.

He straightened, his keen eyes scrutinizing the immense closet. All items of clothing were neatly arranged, with each cloak, cape, tunic, and other items of clothing in its allotted place and hanging in an orderly fashion.

Some space was going to need to be made for Charlotte's clothes, once they were tailored.

Thranduil exited the closet and strode towards the vanity. He picked up his hairbrush made of the finest horsehair and ran it through his silken hair until it shone like star fire. Next he picked up his crown of intricately crafted twigs, the ends rising in sharp points and the crown itself infused with leaves of brilliant red.

Placing the mantle that symbolized his title, as well as his burden, upon his head Thranduil gave himself a cursory once over in the mirror, satisfied that outwardly he was the epitome of regality and royalty.

Thranduil paused as he strode past the bed, his gaze lingering on Charlotte with longing.

It wouldn't take much to crawl in alongside her, draw her close and let his hands wander over her soft and warm flesh...