Chapter 62

The rising morning sun stretching lazily over the horizon found a certain elf already up and dressed as he stood by the window, internally keeping track of the passage of time as the new day dawned.

The bursting golden rays from the sun reflected upon Legolas' electric blue orbs and spun gold in his silver strands of hair as he stood unmoving by the window, his hands clasped behind his ramrod straight back. He was dressed in a simple forest green tunic and earth brown breaches, and his platinum blonde hair was tied back in his traditional warrior braids, revealing his breathtakingly handsome features and fine bone structure.

He watched as the sun rose higher still in the sky, chasing away the shadows of the lingering passage of night. The minutes stretched into a full hour, yet he did not move from his position.

His mind was abuzz with everything that had transpired thus far and the complication that was Charlotte. Admittedly, he did not know what to think.

His thoughts drifted to the previous night and how he and his Ada had feasted on pizza and had drunk far too much wine than was considered healthy. A small smile curled at his lips at the memory. It had been rather refreshing to pass the night in such a way, and Legolas had to admit that the obvious change that had overcome his Ada of late was not only noticeable, but also welcomed.

Gone was the coiled tension, as well as the cold indifference Thranduil often outwardly displayed, and now in its place now was a certain lightheartedness, as well as fatherly affection, which Thranduil had seldom showed in public before. It was a rare sight, indeed, to witness.

Legolas puzzled at this change and secretly admitted that he was not opposed to it. Quite the opposite actually. But, like with everything, this change was going to take some getting used to. And acceptance, especially of the certain someone who had brought about said change, was going to prove even more challenging.

Legolas cast his mind back to his encounter with Charlotte. Did he resent her? No, he could not say that he did. Did he dislike her? Legolas smiled to himself at the whimsicalness that was utterly Charlotte and shook his head. No, he did not dislike her, either. But he needed to find out more about her. And in order to do that, he needed to spend time with her. He did not know if he was quite ready for that yet, but knew it needed to be done.

He tilted his head fractionally to the side as the noises of the waking kingdom filtered through to his pointed ears.

He could not put off having a conversation or two with Charlotte, but that would have to wait for later. For now, he needed to seek out a few others; others that could answer some important questions for him.

Turning on his heels, Legolas strode gracefully to the door and yanked it open. Already he could smell the delectable aroma of baking bread wafting through the halls of the palace, and his stomach gave a hungry growl in response.

Maybe a detour to the kitchen wouldn't be a bad idea. Aranhil surely would have something delicious to nibble on...

With that in mind, Legolas' feet seemed to guide him towards the kitchen without a second thought. As he neared kitchen, the multitude of aromas cascaded over him, making his hungry stomach growl even louder than before.

He stepped through the archway, intent on getting something to eat, and halted on the threshold.

The kitchen was a hive of efficient and well-organized activity, though the atmosphere was warm and welcoming as the kitchen staff went about merrily with their duties, each with a smile and a musical laugh on their lips as they talked amongst themselves.

But he noticed none of that.

Instead, his attention was now centered on Aranhil and his aunt, Calenmiriel, who were sitting side by side, talking softly to each other with beatific smiles on each of their porcelain faces as their heads almost touching as they conversed. From his position, Legolas could clearly see that their hands were entwined with each other's under the table. And the smitten look on each of their features was another dead giveaway as to what was actually going on between them.