Chapter 59

Thranduil vaulted from Tallagor in a swift and lithe movement, landing surely on his feet. He unsheathed his glinting and very deadly sword in a blurred motion, the blade ringing as it sliced through the air.

"Remain on Tallagor. Whatever you do, do not dismount him for any reason," his firm but rushed command reflecting the fear shadowing his sharp and pale features. His cerulean eyes swirled like the oncoming storm brewing within him, and Charlotte was in awe at how quickly he transfored into warrior mode.

He didn't give her any chance to form a protest as he immediately whirled around to join in the fight, his cape billowing like a dark shadow at the sharp movement. "Guard her with your life, Tallagor!" he snapped brusquely from over his shoulder.

And then he was gone, disappearing into the chaos in a whirlwind of flourished movement, delivering each strike and blow with deadly skill and precision.

Charlotte clutched at Tallagor's reins with an iron-tight grip, her knuckles turning white with the effort and her heart beating frantically in her chest as her panic threatened to consume her. All around her screeches and gravelly hisses of pain sounded as spiders were slayed, permeating the air and causing a clamorous din that filled her senses to capacity.

The elves battled valiantly, their actions fluid and liquid; their pace almost a flurried blur to the naked eye. She and Tallagor were now on the outskirts of the skirmish, and she craned her neck to get a better view, her thoughts on Thranduil the whole time. Every now and then she would catch a glimpse of silver hair in the torrential sea of black and brown, letting her know that nothing bad had happened to him. Yet.

Tallagor pawed nervously at the ground as more spiders rained down from the trees, their huge bloated bodies grotesque and beyond comparison.

How is it even possible for spiders to be that large? They're creepy enough as it is in their normal size. This...this is just plain terrifying!

Ragged gasps escaped her lips and her head whipped around as varying degrees of shouts echoed around her. She felt utterly helpless as she waited on the sidelines, unable to help in any way. A bone-chilling fear had seeped into her very core, and she was seized with a moment of panic that something grave would befall Thranduil.

Please let him be alright, she repeated over and over again in her mind like a mantra.

Her eyes scanned the flurry of ceaseless action playing out before her, and she almost sagged with relief when she saw him leap onto the back of one of the gigantic spiders and drive his sword down into its head, twisting it for good measure with a fierce snarl curling his lips.

Thranduil glanced up briefly and, assured that she was still safe and unharmed, dove right back into the fray with untampered zeal.

Tallagor backed up, trying to distance himself, and her, as much as possible from the intense battle being waged before them. Charlotte could feel the tension radiating from him, roiling off in palpable waves, and she patted his flank in reassurance.

Then, out of the corner of her eye, she detected an inky shadow of movement. Like a scene out of a horror film, she slowly turned her head to the side to face the monsters, her scream frozen on her lips as her throat constricted in fear.

Two engorged spiders were advancing towards her and Tallagor, their hairy, spindly legs scuttling and clicking, making their movements unnaturally jerky.

By the Valar. This is worse than any horror film!

"Tallagor!" she shouted with renewed urgency, nudging his ribs with her foot and jerking his rein to the side to bring his attention to the advancing danger.