Chapter 53

Thranduil placed the last of the scrolls to the side and rubbed tiredly at his temples with his index and middle fingers as he leaned over the desk, a whisper of a weary sigh escaping him.

How he detested the tediousness of paperwork.

He glanced up at the window, noting that it was still early in the afternoon outside; the sun blazing brightly upon the horizon.

He rose from his seat with the grace of a feline and strode towards the window, his hands clasped behind his back as he let the scenery beyond capture his attention.

A knock on the door sounded, breaking the rare moment of peace and tranquility.

"Enter," he called out, already knowing who it would be.

Feren strode in, closing the door quietly behind him. The Captain inclined his head in greeting towards his King, though Thranduil still had his gaze resolutely trained on fields below and seemed to pay him no attention. Beyond the line of trees yonder were Charlotte and Hérion, currently hidden from view and no doubt causing each other much ire. This thought brought a shadow of a smirk to his face.

Finally, Thranduil turned around to face the other elf. "What news have you, Feren?"

"Thus far, Calenmiriel is merely observing Lady Charlotte. She was careful to stay out of sight while she watched our training session. She has made no attempt, that I am aware of, to approach Lady Charlotte and is, in fact, being quite discreet."

Thranduil gave a thoughtful nod. "Notify me immediately if anything should arise. In the meantime, continue to keep an eye on her."

Feren nodded his assent and then paused. Thranduil raised a brow, waiting patiently for the ellon to continue.

"I should also add that Lady Charlotte did catch a glimpse of Calenmiriel and attempted to go after her."

His other brow rose to join the other. "Did she now?" he murmured; his voice deceptively soft.

"Hérion forestalled her," Feren added hastily. "He managed to reason with her and dissuade her from any course of action."

If Thranduil was surprised by this, he showed no signs of it. "Thank you, Feren," he said in obvious dismissal.

When the door clicked silently behind the retreating Captain, Thranduil turned his attention once more to the piles of paperwork on his desk and his lip curled back with obvious disdain. He was in no mood to tackle them now.

Instead, he grabbed his cloak and flung it over his shoulders, leaving the room in a billowing hue of charcoal grey.

He met Galion in the passage leading to his chamber, and the ever-loyal elf bowed his head as his King approached.

"Inform Hérion, when next you see him, that I wish to speak with him in the morn," he instructed his butler, his tone clipped and brusque.

Galion never had time to respond as Thranduil swept past him like a roiling storm, his cloak flapping around his ankles, and he entered his room, making sure to close the doors firmly behind him.

Thranduil leaned against the cool wood of the doors and closed his eyes, breathing in deeply as weariness seeped into the marrow of his bones.

What are you up to, Calenmiriel? he thought to himself, not for the first time.

After a few moments he cracked open his eyes, staring with an unseeing gaze at the ceiling.

Calenmiriel, though ruthless with her words, was not known to be conscientiously callous, nor purposely cruel. The fact that she was rather keeping her distance and observing Charlotte from afar said as much. If she had wanted to attack Charlotte, she would have done so by now, if that was truly her intent. And he highly doubted that, otherwise he would have banished her without another thought.