Chapter 44

"What do you mean you can't find her?!" Thranduil asked with barely held-back fury that stemmed from his growing panic.

Galion and Maerwen stood before him; the elleth looking ghastly pale as she faced her King's wrath.

"Lady Charlotte's meeting with Hérion was supposed to last an hour," she explained, her voice quivering slightly. "When I came back to collect her, the room was empty and she was nowhere to be found."

Thranduil clutched tightly at the edge of his desk, his knuckles turning white.

"Have you spoken with Hérion?" Thranduil addressed Galion, his tone dark and foreboding. He straightened and stepped around the desk, coming to stand before the two elves, his posture tall and imposing.

"I have," Galion replied carefully. He was used to Thranduil's temper and knew well how to weather it, but this time was different. Thranduil was on the verge of exploding. "He does not know of her whereabouts. He said he spoke to her briefly and then left to make preparations for her upcoming lessons."

Thranduil breathed in deeply through his nose, willing himself to remain calm. He needed to keep a level head.

"Have you checked with the guards at the entrances?"

"I have already done so, my King. She has not left your Halls," Galion stated.

Thranduil rubbed at his temples, feeling a splitting headache coming on.

How was it possible for one little human female to disappear in a palace full of elves?

"Has no one else seen her?" he growled, his patience wearing thin.

"A few saw her wandering around on the lower levels, but that was over an hour ago. She has not been seen since."

Thranduil closed his eyes, breathing deeply, but it was no use. He could feel his feeble hold on his temper fast disintegrating.

Suddenly he felt an something akin to elation flare through their bond; the emotion so strong that it caused his eyes to fly open.

Wherever Charlotte was right now, she was highly pleased with something. And safe, he thought, immense relief washing over him and making his volatile temper deflate.

Though Thranduil was certain that none of his subjects would cause her any harm– it was not the way of elves to be vindictive or malicious - it still didn't stop him from being protective, especially when it came to Charlotte.

Furrowing his brows, Thranduil concentrated on their bond, puzzling over what was making her almost giddy with glee.

"She is safe, and quite content by the feel of it," he murmured, more to himself than the two elves that stood before him.

He did not notice the look that passed between Maerwen and Galion; a look of startled surprise. They had not known that their King had bonded with Charlotte, and this revelation was somewhat of a shock, though in hindsight, not surprising.

Thranduil cast his memory to all the places to be found on the lower levels.

It was quite possible that she had found the wine cellar, if her giddy mood was anything to go by...

Thranduil lifted his gaze to meet the amber and warm brown of Maerwen and Galion's eyes.

"Did you happen to search the kitchen?"

Galion's eyes widened, a clear sign that he had, indeed, not thought about this possibility.

"I did not think she would be there, considering that you had given clear instructions for no one to allow her within a league of the kitchen."