Chapter 41

A/N: A really big, big, BIG thank you needs to go out to TardisGhost for creating this adorable picture of Tallagor and Thranduil. I am absolutely in love with. Thank you so much, my friend. You can find her amazing artwork on DeviantArt - be sure to check it out :)

Tallagor's hooves plodding on the hard earth was the only sound that echoed through these parts of the woods

Tallagor's hooves plodding on the hard earth was the only sound that echoed through these parts of the woods. He kept up a consistent pace as he followed an unknown path with barely any noticeable guidance; either this was from instinct or from being keenly attuned to the Elvenking's wishes as they traversed through the forest. Charlotte was guessing the latter.

Thranduil's arm was firmly pinned around her middle as they rode through the forest, chasing the setting sun that had splashed a brilliant hue of red and orange across the sky like a painter's easel.

Charlotte leaned back into Thranduil's chest, delighting in the feel of him behind her as he held her close. Moments like these, she realized, were going to be few and far between now that they had returned to his kingdom and the demands that came along with it. They would have to savor every precious moment together from now on.

Thranduil pressed a kiss upon the crown of her head, his hand splaying across her belly as they enjoyed this sense of closeness. Charlotte angled her head to peer up at Thranduil, her breath catching in her throat as he stared back at her with starlit eyes, his beautifully carved features framed by his silvery-white hair. The looming trees formed a canopy of red and gold overhead, casting his image in a magical undertone.

"I never want this moment to end," she murmured.

His features softened as he took in her true meaning, and he lowered his head, brushing his lips against her own in a featherlight caress.

"Then it shall not. We'll make tonight last forever," he whispered, his warm breath ghosting over her lips before he captured them in a tender kiss that conveyed the conviction of his words.

Breaking from the kiss, he issued a low command to the moose. Tallagor instantly obeyed, his speed increasing.

"Where are we going?" Charlotte asked.

"A place I oft go when I need peace and respite," he replied.

"I take it you go there often."

"More than I care to admit."

Charlotte nodded, more to herself. It was understandable that Thranduil would need a place from time to time to escape the manacles of being a King.

Tallagor's long, spindly legs carried them with ease to their destination. His movements, after a while, gradually slowed down and then they were suddenly in a clearing.

The area was surrounded on all sides by the twisted trunks of the ash white trees that grew in the Woodland Realm, and in the center was pond, it's undisturbed surface reflective like an obsidian mirror. The yellowed grass that carpeted the ground shone like spun gold as the sun cast it's rays upon it before it dipped below the horizon.