(28) surprise

JASPER

***

When I wake up, it's still only eleven. But I already know I'm late waking up because I can hear Lois fussing outside the door.

I deliberately knock something hard, so she knows I'm awake, and immediately she knocks on the door.

"Jasper?" She calls. "You awake?"

I sit up and rub my eyes. I'm fucking shattered but I clear my throat before shouting back through the door.

"Yeah. Sorry. I'll be ready by three, I promise."

They'd told me yesterday they were going to Lois' parents for a few hours, even though I knew Lois was nervous to go. Libby had told me about the adoption stuff, and I don't think the relationship had been mended much as she was still staying here rather than at home. I'm glad she has Nick though. I didn't even know the guy very well, but if he loves Lois enough to look after her, protect her, then he's good in my books.

"We're headed out then. But we'll be back by three... then we'll head over to Libby's."

"Okay. Got it," I call through the door as I swing my legs over the bed.

Two minutes later I hear the door close and I'm all alone in the house. No one but myself on Christmas morning. Merry Fucking Christmas.

***

Even though I only have three hours to wait to see her, by the time I shower and make it downstairs, I find myself clock watching. But unfortunately that makes time move slower.

To help pass the time, I pack all my stuff away. I leave my clothes for later out, but I making sure everything was ready to go for when they get back. But by the time I'd done that, only half an hour had gone by... so I groan and flop onto the couch.

For most of the time, I play on my phone. I'm trying to distract myself from texting or ringing her, to keep the ruse up of me being at Glennie's. I even have to ignore the two calls I receive from her and it's fucking torture. When she rings for the second time, I hold the phone in my hand and scream at it, telling her that I'd see her in a couple of hours.

At two, I go upstairs to start getting ready. I get dressed up, well as dressed up as I could stand - my black and red flannel shirt and my cleanest jeans and boots - and then I just sit and wait in my jacket in the living room, waiting for Lois and Nick to get back.

At three, I'm starting to get nervous. They said they'd be back by now, and we were going to be late if they took any longer. But after another half an hour, I finally hear their keys in the lock. I have to restrain myself from shouting, asking where the fuck they've been. But I manage to hold myself back as Lois puts a small pile of presents down on the kitchen table, before grabbing the ribbon on the table next to me.

"Do you want it wrapped around your arms or not?" She asks, laughing as she holds the spool of ribbon up in front of me.

"Nah. It'll make it hard to use my arms. But erm... Not to make it weird... but could you make sure the bow is... erm... here?" I point to just above the waistband of my jeans.

I look at Nick, who is just watching with a dry smile on his face. Lois just laughs again as she gets Nick to hold one end of the ribbon as walks around me, tying off the bow just above my crotch. When she finishes, she puts the ribbon down on the table and smiles.

"She is going to love this." And before I can say anything, she puts her arms around me in a hug. Feeling a bit awkward, given Nick is standing right there, I don't know what to do with my arms. But thankfully, I'm saved from that as she pulls away from me.