(38) charleston nights

LIBBY

***

"Baby, come on, we'll be late!" I hear Jasper calling from outside.

I was taking one last look around our tiny flat to make sure we'd packed everything, and saying goodbye to nearly six months of memories. Jasper had said it was ridiculous, but he also didn't stop me.

But he was right, we would be late. We have to drop off the keys back at the realtors before we start our long trip on the road.

Two weeks ago, after we'd finished packing for the day, he'd pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket and told me to take a look. I took it from him and just saw a list of states and cities. When I realised all the places were the ones we'd been talking about all year, I ran at him and he only just caught me before we fell backwards on the sofa. Yet another surprise I hadn't been expecting, and I had no idea how I had been this lucky.

The plan had always been to go to California for a week before I went back in September, but we hadn't talked about any other cities and adventures in between and it made me so happy that he thinks of these things.

As I come down the stairs, I look at him. He's wearing all black, just like the day I'd met him, and he looked sexier than anything. He'd had a hair cut, cropping his hair slightly shorter than normal, and although I was disappointed that he'd cut it, I was falling more and more in love with him the more I see it. He's leaning on his truck, waiting for me, and he has his ray bans on as well. And as I come down the stairs, his face erupts in a smile, just like it always has done since we've been together.

"You said your goodbyes?" He calls with a laugh as I jog down the last few steps. He leans off the truck and opens his arms for me to walk into. "Can we drop off these keys now?"

I shake my head and kiss his jaw. "Yes, Scrooge. I won't be back here for a while so lay off," I scowl jokingly and he rolls his eyes.

"Humbug. Now come on, I want to get our deposit back," he jerks his head towards the truck and plants a soft kiss on my forehead before he walks round to the driver's side.

I jump in the passenger side and scoot over to him as he starts the engine.

"California, here we come," he says, and I look up at him and laugh. He'd just unknowingly quoted the theme tune to The OC and I had never been more proud.

***

"Baby?" I hear Jasper whisper next to me.

I stir and realise we'd come to a stop. It wasn't dark yet but I had no idea what time it was. But from the looks of it, we'd finally arrived at our first destination.

We'd driven from Wilmington to Charleston, where we were staying for a few days, and then early on Monday we'd be doing the first long leg and driving to New Orleans. That bit was nearly ten hours, so for that Jasper had actually allowed me to do a little bit of driving.

"Are we there yet?" I ask, wiping my eyes as I focus. By the time we got out of Wilmington traffic, thanks to a lorry overturning on the interstate, it was four.

"Yup. Come on," he heaves himself out of the front seat and jumps down, stretching his back and his arms.

I smile and come out to join him, standing on the wheel arch to grab my bag down from the bed of the truck same as him, before tucking myself under his arm. We climb the steps to the B&B we'd booked and smile at the lady at the desk.

"Welcome to the Charleston Inn. Are you guys Jasper and Libby?" She asks, with a British accent.

"Yeah," I respond with a smile. "Are you from England?" I ask, even though the answer is obvious.