(53) baby

JASPER

***

"JASPER!"

The noise wakes me from my sleep and I shoot upwards wondering where the fuck I am for a moment. I was having a dream where the baby was at a dance recital. Being a girl this time, she'd made me braid my hair for the occasion.

"JASPER!"

I recognise the voice now, through the fog of my dreams. It's Libby.

"What is it, baby?" I get up and rush over to the bathroom, but as soon as I get there I skid on something wet and almost crash into the shower.

"Eugh, what was..." I trail off when I see the state of Libby's pyjamas. They're soaking, which can only mean one thing. She's having the baby.

"Fuck. Okay, erm. Fuck. Baby, stay calm," I say, although I'm panicking myself, trying to remember what the hell I'm supposed to do. All the training and all the classes have gone completely out the window now that the day has actually fucking come.

"Jasper!" She breathes steadily. "I'm scared."

Her voice floods over my panic and I stop for a moment.

"What if it doesn't like me!" She cries.

"Baby, this little person will love you. Don't worry, everything will be great," I kiss her forehead just as our bedroom door opens. "Boy or girl, this baby can't wait to meet its mom."

She smiles at me and kisses my lips, her kiss urgent as I feel her tongue sweep against mine. I wish we had more time.

"What's going on? What's with all the shouting?" Rob asks, and Libby and I break apart. His hair is in disarray and sticking up in different directions.

"Rob, Lib's waters broke. Can you take us to the hospital?" I wanted to drive her myself, but I also want to comfort her.

"Bloody hell! Yeah, yeah of course," he steps into the room and offers Libby his arm as I grab the baby bag full of supplies next to the door. It's got lots of clothes - both pink and blue - bottles, diapers and I've even snuck a bottle of champagne into the bottom. There's clothes in there for us as well, which I know I'll definitely need. I'm just pulling the t-shirt I wore over my head when I hear Rob half way down the stairs.

"Have you called Mum?" He asks Libby and she shakes her head, stopping as she breathes sharply.

"Oh my god. Jasper! It's a contraction, Jesus!" She cries out, reaching for my hand and I grab it, not saying anything as she squeezes.

Contractions are supposed to be less painful at the beginning but from the way she's squeezing my hand, it must be fucking excruciating. She's holding it harder than when she broke her leg.

"You okay baby?" I ask when she's breathing more evenly, swearing as I shake out my hand when she lets it go.

She nods. "Fucking hell, Jasper." She breathes in through her nose and out through her mouth. "Rob?"

"Yeah?"

"You better fucking drive fast."

He smiles as he takes her arm again and opens the car. I help her get in and hold her hand again, bracing both of us as Rob speeds out of driveway and down the road to the hospital.