(44) through his eyes

LIBBY

***

As I start to read, I realise I'm getting an insight into who Jasper was before he met me, and before Benny died.

But I also realise the story isn't just about me and him, it's about his life. He's showing his readers more.

And as I'm greedy for as much information as he's willing to give, I turn the page and settle in, revelling in the beautiful words I have in front of me.

***

PROLOGUE

"Bud, come on, get up."

I can hear my best friend Benny's voice coming through the haze of my dreams.

"Will! Get. Up. I will jump on you."

I groan, pulling my comforter up over my head. It's summer and it's not even light yet, which means it's stupidly early. Definitely too early for me to be getting out of bed. But when I feel a pillow hit me hard on my back and my head from above the comforter, I have to move.

"Benny?" I groan, my voice raspy and gravelly from sleep. "What time is it?"

"Four AM. Come on, we're going to watch the sunrise."

"Ben, what? No! I want to sleep," I turn back over but he starts jumping on my bed.

"Come on I have two more mornings to see before I leave, and we're going. Come on. Get some clothes on and let's go."

Christ. I want to just direct a swift kick upwards and kick him off my bed. But then part of me knows he's right.

Benny's only got leave to be back for two weeks, and he ships back out in two days. So instead of turning back over, I got up and out of bed, following my best friend whilst shoving my shorts and a shirt on.

**

"I'm going to miss this. This is always what I miss most."

"What? The sunrise? Don't they have sunrises in the desert?" I joke, nudging him with my elbow as we watch the sun peaking over the sea at Wrightsville Beach.

"Not like this. It's just hot. And I'm usually bored. They're not as exciting. Plus I don't get to have you by my side."

"I'm not really adding to the experience though am I?" I chuckle, throwing sand at him.

"Sure you are. There's no one like you."

It's the first time he's ever said that in so many words, and I don't know how to react to it. It's always been just the two of us, give or take a few friends along the way, but ever since we were babies it's been us two troublemakers against the world.

He'd always been the more outgoing one. He went up to girls at school with no fear in the world, whereas I was the awkward one. When we were still in elementary school, I was the tallest and would trip up over my feet, and I never quite managed to master the skill of talking to girls. Well, until Lora. But he did always ask me for advice though... and seeing as it always worked I figured I wouldn't be so bad with the ladies if I actually tried.