(7) orientation

LIBBY

***

My alarm goes off at an ungodly hour, as I have to have a shower to wash off all the travelling.

I'm still horrendously tired, and probably would be for a few days, but I had to push through and get on with it. I suppose throwing yourself into school and classes is a good way of helping to ignore the jet lag.

Today is orientation. And as I washed my hair, closing my eyes, a pair of olive green eyes flash up in front of me. It makes me gasp and I immediately reopen them.

I hoped I would be in a different group, my correct group, as my name had been missed off. But knowing my luck, I doubted it. And when I see him, I suppose he'd go back to being rude and hopefully would ignore everyone, me included. And if he did talk to me, then... well I'd cross that bridge when it came to it.

I get dressed and note that none of the others are even awake yet. I can only imagine it was in the early hours, and I find myself thinking I should let them take me out some of the time. I tiptoe around quietly, getting my bag ready, making sure I didn't forget my keys. Once I'm all set to go, I take one last look in the mirror at myself and quietly head out the door.

I walk round to Steph's flat and knock on the door. I hear a faint 'hang on' from inside and step back and wait.

The weather is much warmer today, and definitely much more humid. Even though it's still relatively early, the sun is shining through the clouds already and I can tell it's just going to get hotter as the day goes on. I was going to have to start getting used to it.

***

Orientation was different for us internationals today. Usually it's where you get signed up for your classes, get textbooks, meet your professors, your classmates. But today, for us, it was all about getting to know what American college classes were going to be like.

There were apparently a day's worth of activities, but I think they could be optional if you didn't want to take part. I know they're headed to the beach at the end of every day over the next two weeks, as a welcome fortnight, but I don't think I was feeling the beach tonight. It's only 8am and I'm already exhausted, so I don't think I'll make it to lunchtime, let alone this evening.

"It's so early!" Steph groans. "Man, why do they make us start now?" I feel like the question is rhetorical but I answer it anyway. She yawns loudly as she shuffles along behind me.

"To get us used to how classes will be. My friend told me it's more like going back to school again."

"Back to school?" Steph looks shocked and it makes me laugh. "Oh because everyone looooves school," she says, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

I chuckle. "Yeah. More lessons, more often. What do you take at your university back home?"

"Sciences. I have lectures every day and then labs, so I was hoping for a break this year. That's why I took history modules."

"Oh right. Well I'm a history student at Exeter, hoping to be a teacher, and last year I had six hours of contact time a week. The rest you're expected to be reading."

We start wandering towards what we hope was the campus library. In the email instructions it said you'd find it by looking for the big, teal iron clock in front of it. The school mascot was apparently sat outside too, reading a book.

Eventually we wander onto what must be Chancellor's Walk; a huge walkway with red and white flagstones lining it. There are university buildings all down it as well, all looking daunting and imposing in the morning light. But at the end of the walkway, in the distance, was the iron clock. The building behind it must be the library.