Chapter Twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE
-Best Friend-

The blood pumping in Miriki's heart didn't stop. It's loud pounding only grew louder until it was the only thing she could hear. With each step of the way, her mind was on autopilot as she was guided into a girly room.

School went by fast and the assignment given was to be completed within the next week. Partners were initiated in pairs. Miriki's heart soared higher than a skyscraper when Kokomi herself wished to be her partner. She didn't go to Saiki nor did she see Chiyo. She went to Miriki first and that made her feel special.

Others had bombarded the girl with offers, but none of them got the chance to actually walk besides the beautiful flowers or even go to her house invited. They didn't receive the breathtaking smile that was only directed towards Miriki.

Yet, someone else didn't get to see the shy smile radiating from the chubby girl. Instead they turned away and found a different partner. It made their stomach churn at the moment between the two friends.

Miriki could sense something pulling at her. Like it was trying to drag her away from Kokomi and turn her in a different direction. But she didn't pay attention because her mind was too busy focused on distraction right in front of her.

“Ah Miri-chan I'm so happy we're partners.” Kokomi flashed her friend a graceful smile. She loved the warmth that coated the olive haired girl's round cheeks. Such admiration brought a proud feeling in her chest. She returned her focus back on the blank paper.

“Of course! Why wouldn't I want to be your partner, bestie.” Miriki inhaled the magnificent air of Kokomi's room. The space was neatly organized and the decor went neatly with the color schemes. Even her room was perfect.

I've been here many times before but it's always refreshing.

“You know I'm surprised you actually said yes. I thought you would have asked…” Kokomi trailed off confusing Miriki. She shook her head and pulled out some colored pencils for their art project. “Nevermind it's nothing.”

Miriki sat up straight and tilted her head in confusion. “Who?”

“Well...I have noticed that you and Saiko-kun are starting to become friendly. Not that I'm trying to  assume anything or pry, it's just unusual seeing him being nice to others considering how he tried to ruin our lives.” Kokomi explained. In truth, she didn't need to pry as she knew Miriki would never lie to her. Kokomi was a trustworthy person and it's only for her best friend to be honest with her because she was also the best listener.

An image of Metori popped into Miriki's mind. She did notice that his attitude had changed a bit.

“Yeah but he didn't ask me, you did.” Miriki smiled and reached over to grab her friend's soft hand. “Plus if I weren't your partner then this project wouldn't be finished.”

“What do you mean?” Kokomi questioned. Although she knew exactly why the project wouldn't be done. As much as her beauty was a blessing, it was also a curse at times. Which is why Miriki was her closest friend. Like she mentioned before, they knew each other since they were in diapers.

Kokomi could be a distraction and with that people would only be staring at her, choose to do what she wanted because she wanted it, or do the whole project so that she wouldn't have to do it. Thus, making everything unfair.