Part Four: Hunted

Yesterday was a massive success for the resistance, and a show of just what the Nomad was willing to do for these people. Although there was a first spark for freedom from Eden's Gate, everyone knew that this is just a step to something bigger and that they needed to keep their guard up at all times.

The Nomad was ready to begin his next task, so gets up from his bed in the bunker and walks upstairs to Dutch.

"There you are! We all owe more than you can imagine, you've done us so much good, now we've coordinated an attack on Jacob with the Whitetails." Dutch said as the Nomad entered the room.

The Nomad smiled and indicated to Dutch that he wanted to know more about this attack plan.

"You've done plenty, but if you want to help us out with this, then here's the plan. We're planning on hitting the Lumber Mill, there are just so many prisoners there, they've actually turned it into a prison. Forget the Jail, it's dwarfed by the Lumber Mill now. There are so many people just waiting there in cages, to 'Cull The Herd' or some bullshit." Said Dutch

The Nomad nodded and Dutch went over to his radio.

"This is Dutch to Eli, you're going to be having an extra member in the ambush." Dutch said into his radio.

"Eli to Dutch, good, any contribution helps. Send them over now, we're approaching the Mill." Eli said through the radio.

"Okay kid, you should get moving, not much time before they get to the Mill, they'll be waiting for you when you get there. And please be careful, you've done us a huge favor already, this only adds to what you've done." Said Dutch in a caring voice.

The Nomad opens the door once again and steps outside.

The Whitetail mountains were certainly one of the most beautiful places on earth. The Jagged peaks tearing into the horizon. Thick forests as far as the eye can see, with lush riverbanks teeming with life. It was just so hard to believe that there was anyone else in the county with him at all.

While avoiding the roads as much as possible, the Nomad notices some strange occurrences around him. Wolves with a strange green aura around them were following him, but ducking for cover if he stared at them. Occasionally, distant figures with red masks would move through the trees. Something wasn't right, this feeling lasted the whole time he was getting to the Lumber Mill.

Eventually, he began to hear the distant preaching that marked the Mill. Not just preaching and music, but screaming, wolves barking, even gunshots. This place sounded like a nightmare come true.

The Nomad notices a small squadron dressed in camouflage on a cliff looking down on the Mill. This had to be the Whitetails. He activated his radio and saw them react and turn his direction and wave him over.

"Wow, it's really you! You should've taken a break after the radio station, but I guess here you are. Too late to turn back now." Whispered the squad commander.

The Nomad looked down onto the nightmare that lay before him. The Mill was no longer a Mill, more of a torture chamber. There was now a massive stone wall across the whole perimeter, making it an actual closed building. Cages were everywhere, some with dead bodies in them, some had people that were writhing and screaming.

Suddenly a song came over the speakers of the building. Every single civilian went silent and then there were two booming words: "Only You." Every prisoner looked as if they were having a seizure as they fell to the ground.

"That's what Jacob does to people, he plays that song and uses classical conditioning to train their brain. We need to take this place down before they let the civilians out of the cages." The squad leader whispered.

The Nomad tilts his head in confusion.

"If they let them out, they will kill anyone that is not a cultist, that means us. That song, it makes regular people into soldiers, to 'Sacrifice The Weak' he says.

The Nomad nods and notes the location of 4 alarms and around 20 cultists, as well as the speakers. So the Nomad knowing everything that he needs to know, he draws his SA 50. from his pack. He start by shooting the alarms to avoid any reinforcements, if there were reinforcements, it would be incredibly difficult to continue liberating this outpost.

The Nomad then shoots the speakers to stop the civilians from 'Culling The Weak'. The area goes silent. The cultists are in a confused stupor, not knowing how to react, they start aiming for areas outside of the outpost, looking for intruders.

The Nomad then see a differently dressed cultist walks into view, red mask, camouflage jacket. They were dressed just the the figures I saw in the woods. The Nomad was shocked to think that he had been followed the whole way to the Mill.

The Nomad signals to the squad commander that they should move in.

"Hell no, there are too many peggies in the Mill at right now, we would get decimated if we walked in now!" Whispered the squad commander.

The Nomad harshly pointed to the red masked cultist.

"Did you see them before? Wait, did you see them back in the woods?" The squad commander said with wide eyes.

The Nomad nodded.

"Shit man. We definitely need to move in, and fast, they're probably watching us right now." The squad commander said while looking around.

So the commander signaled for the team to move closer to the stone wall.

"Ok everyone, we're going to jump onto this wall, then, you shoot anything that moves." Said the squad commander while looking at the others.

The squad jumps the wall in unison. The Nomad is the first the drop down. He crouches and walks behind a large box to get cover. He then draws an AR-C from his pack and signals for the others to come down and find other places.

He sees his comrades across the Lumber Mill hiding behind bushes, while the cultists are still walking around, looking for anything suspicious. The Nomad kicks off the fight when he throws a knife directly into the heart of a cultist, everyone around him jumps at the sight of their friend bleeding to death.

Then the whole squad gets out from behind their cover and fires at all cultists they see. The cultists were dropping like flies, it was satisfying to the Nomad's eyes as the cultists fell. However, the squad realized that there were no cultists left but one. It was the red masked cultist. The Nomad walked to the cultist and threw him on the ground, disarming him in the process. The cultist tried to back away, but the Nomad stepped on his back as the cultist screamed in pain.

"Ok pal. We'll make a deal with you, you can run and live another day if you tell that goddamned Jacob Seed that the resistance isn't going to stand for his bullshit anymore." Said the squad commander, as he walked to the cultist, still under the Nomad's foot.

The cultist nods, so the Nomad takes his boot off of him. The cultist is gone in seconds.

"You don't talk much do you?" Said the squad commander.

The Nomad turns around and indicates that he physically can't talk.

"Well that's alright. You're part of the Whitetails nonetheless, and today, we have a victory!" Says the commander.

The Nomad's radio buzzes on and hears the voice of Dutch.

"We heard about the Mill, Eli has already gotten a few calls telling him it was a success. Come on back to the bunker, take a rest for a while, you deserve it." Dutch says.

The Nomad turns around to get back to the island, ready to escape the mountains. The Nomad continues to avoid roads, but the whole time, an ominous feeling resonates in the air, it felt as if he was being watched again. In his deep thought, he feels something painful strike him in the knee, and when he looks down, it's an arrow. The arrow had to have some kind of sedative, because he fell the ground. A red masked cultist was looming over him as the Nomad blacked out.