Part five: Stealing From a Thief

Charlotte Easton was looking down at a map while driving, jerking her car from side to side in attempt to not drive off the road. She was inching closer to her destination, trying to ready herself for what was to come. She was driving to the geothermal park to rescue a vital member in the resistance: The Instigator.

Charlotte suddenly jerks the emergency brake, causing the car to come to a screeching halt. She was at the park at last. She got out of the car and began walking towards a grouping of bushes to hide in.

When she reached the bushes, she pulled her binoculars from her bag and scanned the location, revealing multiple enemies. She got a general idea of where the enemies were, but couldn't exactly pinpoint them. She continued looking around the area until she saw a cluster of cages that had people inside of them. She lowered her binoculars and got her radio out and whispered into the microphone.

"I think you were right about the geothermal park, there are cages around the water that are holding people. What does the Instigator look like?" Charlotte murmured into the radio.

"Alright, the Instigator is clothed in black, he has some kind of fur jacket, he has black hair, and is probably wearing a hood." Said Mary.

"Alright, let's find our boy..." Charlotte whispered under her breath.

She got out from inside the bush and tiptoed behind a cultist, who was slightly distracted and pulled her knife from her pocket and calmly slid it into the cultist's neck, easily killing him without a sound.

She threw the body into the bushes and looked around for the Instigator. In a matter of seconds, she identified someone with a black jacket with the hood pulled over his head. She knew that this was him. She moved quietly behind some boxes the drew her hunting bow and aimed at the bindings that were keeping the cage closed and drew an arrow.  With one simple action, she released the arrow, hitting the bindings of the cage, making the gate fly open.

All the Instigator could see was the water, the white sparkles flying around him made him feel dizzy, but in a comfortable way. He couldn't move, the water below him had engulfed his thoughts. In his subconscious, he heard voices telling him to give in, to join Faith in the Bliss. He was getting closer and closer to believing the voices as time went on. He wasn't sure how long he had been looking at the water, but he didn't care, he watched as the white sparkles began to consume him, pulling him down into the water...

Suddenly, there was a strange sound. The sound of chains breaking, metal on metal. It was muffled under the voices, he didn't pay it too much mind, he kept getting enveloped by the sparkles, ghostly aberrations of Faith dancing around him, inviting him further. But another loud noise sounded, this time, getting his attention, making the sparkles fade slightly. He felt something grip his shoulder hard, pulling him out of this trance.

Charlotte dealt with a few surrounding cultists and ran to the Instigator, grabbing his shoulder and yanking him out of the cage. The steam from the water smelled good, but she knew it was a trick of the Bliss and waved the steam away. The Instigator was on the ground, delirious from the Bliss. Charlotte pulled an adrenaline syringe from her bag and jabbed it into the Instigator and pushing the plunger down.

She looked around for a weapons bag and found a black bag laying on a bench near some of the dead cultists, she darted to the bag and retrieved it, giving it to the Instigator, now completely out of the Bliss.

The Instigator quickly shook hands with Charlotte as flares rocketed into the air, indicating reinforcements were on their way. Charlotte and the Instigator took cover behind some boxes as several cult trucks pulled up.

The Instigator's first idea was to throw a grenade at the bunch of cars. He pulled a grenade and threw it at the group of trucks, the sound of screaming emitted immediately from the direction. While the cultists were vulnerable and open, the Instigator got up from cover and shot all the fleeing enemies, the grenade going off shortly after.

The duo hop over the boxes and run to Charlotte's car, but an rocket flies out from behind them, hitting the car, blowing it up in a massive explosion. The Instigator whirls around, firing a bullet perfectly into the cultist responsible for the explosion.

The two look at each other and shrug, but then quickly sprinting out into the open road to run before more reinforcements arrive. Both of them ran together down the road, looking behind themselves to detect any pursuers. It wasn't long before 3 trucks came into view. The Instigator pulled a sniper rifle out of his pack and fired off 3 shots, all of them hitting a target.

The closest truck rolled up to them, making for a perfect escape ride. Although the drivers of the other trucks were shot, the passengers moved into the driver seats, and continued the chase. Charlotte got into the front seat and hit the pedal to the floor instantly while the Instigator got into the bed of the truck and started shooting.

Several more trucks added up behind them, Charlotte sped up impossibly faster while the Instigator continued firing astonishingly accurate shots. Although the Instigator was hitting nearly all of his shots, there were just so many trucks appearing so fast that there was no way he'd have the skill to take down a massive convoy of trucks. To ease up on his shooting, the Instigator threw a remote explosive at a pursuer and waited for the perfect time to set the explosive off and create a road blockade.

Charlotte was white-knuckling the wheel, trying to keep the truck on the road, but with a line of pursuers, it made the ordeal so much harder. Suddenly, there was a loud explosion, throwing Charlotte out of her focused state. She swerved to the side by instinct, not realizing the steep cliffside. When she looked into the rear view mirror, she noticed that it was the Instigator creating a roadblock. By the time that she realized that this was the case, the truck was already tipping over the edge.

The Instigator saw the truck that he was riding started to fall over the edge of the cliffside left of the road. The bottom of the cliff was a narrow shoreline and a river. He thought about how Charlotte would land, and he needed to stay with her to stay alive. So he jumped from the side of the truck to land in the deepest section of the river.

Charlotte feared for her life as the truck tilted farther down the side of the cliff, she saw the Instigator fly forwards and fall the whole distance down into the river at the bottom of the cliffside. She opened the door of the truck and jumped out of the seat and attempted to land in the river with the Instigator. She fell for what felt like minutes down to the river. She impacted and blacked out with the sound of rushing water filling her ears.