Part four: New Arrivals

Deep in the eastern woods of Montana, just outside of Hope County, a cabin lies still. Although it is worn and old, it is all part of a deliberate disguise. Because underneath the cabin lies a bunker that has been active for years. There was a citizen who had been using the cabin to prepare for the apocalypse for years. However, when the first signs of Eden's Gate showed, she knew that this was worse than the apocalypse, she had bought anything and everything to prepare for an encounter with Eden's Gate. She knew nothing about what had happened in Hope County the years prior, but when everything went silent, she knew something was wrong.

This citizen was Charlotte Easton. On this particular day, something strange and completely out of the ordinary happened. She received a distress signal from Hope County.

"Hello? My name is Charlotte Easton, who is contacting me?" She said in a confused voice.

"This is Mary May Fairgrave from Fall's End, Hope County. Am I contacting Crag County?" Said the voice on the other side.

"Yes, this is Crag County, directly East of the Henbane River." Said Charlotte.

"Wonderful! We are aware that Crag County has also been affected by Eden's Gate, right?" Said Mary.

"Yes, for about 6 years. I haven't personally had an encounter with them myself though." Charlotte responded.

"Well we recently regained control over the radio signals, as well as some major areas of control. All these were accomplished by a guy we call the Instigator. However, we haven't seen him in a few days and we're seeking outside help." Mary explained.

"Ah, well I am up for it, but I'll need some kind of direction as to where I'm going, I haven't been in Hope County for years." Said Charlotte.

"You can't miss it, when you get to the top of the mountain, look west and there should be a fairly large town, head towards it, but be incredibly careful. Peggies are swarming that area, take any stealthy route you can, I look forward to meeting you!" Mary May concluded.

Without a second impulse, Charlotte grabbed her bag and climbed the ladder to the light of day. When she emerged from her bunker, she closed the hatch, locked it, and covered it with a rug. After she was done covering the door, she stepped out of the cabin door. So begin the ascent.

Charlotte knew the route to this cliffside, as it was only a few feet away from her cabin, making for an easy climb. She was excited to go to Hope County, she needed something new from her bland life in the bunker. As she reached the top of the snow-covered peak, the wind picked up, blowing leaves from the towering alpine trees across the land.

Hope County had certainly changed since Charlotte's last time seeing it. She covered her eyes from the afternoon sun as she reached for her binoculars.

'look west' they said, so she looked towards the Holland Valley, to see that the forest had notably receded and the properties had been decorated with Eden's Gate flags. She scanned the valley until she saw a massive plot of flat land, with a pillar of smoke in the center. This had to be Fall's End, she was not expecting it to be almost 2 miles away. She shrugged it off though, pulling something from her bag.

Charlotte pulled a wingsuit out of her bag, equipping it quickly.

"No way in hell am I walking all the way to Fall's End from the top of a mountain." Said Charlotte.

Charlotte took a deep breath and leapt from the mountain. The wind caught her wingsuit quickly, guiding her through the air. Through her journey in the skies, she noticed all kinds of new additions to the County, there were tens of new buildings that were packed with cultists. Along with these new buildings, there was one statue to represent each Herald in each region.

As Charlotte got closer to Fall's End, the safer it felt. The constant fear of being shot in the sky was dawning over her, but she knew that this place was safe. When Charlotte was about 100 feet away, she pulled the string to her parachute, and landed right outside town.

"Who are you?" Demanded a sniper from a nearby tower.

"I'm Charlotte Easton, I got a distress signal from Mary May Fairgrave, she said she was in Fall's End, I'm here to meet her." Charlotte said calmly while putting her hands up.

"Ah, yes. Alright, Mary is waiting inside the Spread Eagle, good to have a new helper." Said the sniper.

Charlotte put her hands down and walked into the main street of the town. There were people all around doing various tasks. There were several people fixing cars, others were removing cult decorations from the buildings. There were some people sleeping under the shade of the garage. The people who weren't working noticed Charlotte and greeted her with smiles and waves.

Charlotte waved back at the people and made her way to the Spread Eagle. When she opened the door, a woman with blonde hair was at the counter.

"Are you Mary May?" Asked Charlotte.

"Yes I am, it's nice to meet you Charlotte. It's damn good to have people from all around working up some courage to help us out." Said Mary May with a smile.

"Yeah, I haven't really had too many experiences with Eden's Gate, but I remember climbing the mountain and seeing a massive steel structure one day that would eventually become Joseph's statue one." Said Charlotte.

"They seemed harmless enough, but we were fools to let them slip into our culture and take over. They were fine up until about ten years ago, when they armed themselves and started takin' people." Said Mary May.

"I don't trust a lot of outsiders, so when they came to Crag County, I made sure to stay anonymous." Said Charlotte.

"Anyways, a few days ago, a guy came in and saved Fall's End from the Peggies, and cleared the Jail the next day. Apparently, he's the same guy who opened up the comms, so he really got a name for himself. Well a few days ago, he went missing. From what I heard from the folks at the Jail, he was fending off the cultists when he just lowered his gun and walked off into the woods." Said Mary.

"That's really strange... Why would he do that? He was in the middle of a firefight." Charlotte questioned.

"Well back there, there's some weird drug called the bliss just floating around, so when Joseph's sister, Faith got wind of the Jail being under attack, she must've numbed his mind and taken him somewhere for 're-education' or some bullshit like that." Said Mary.

"I'll get on it right now, he can't be far from the Jail." Said Charlotte.

"We suspect that he's around the geothermal lakes, here's an improvised map to get around. Be careful out there." Mary said while laying down a map for Charlotte.

Charlotte nodded and opened the door and prepared for what was to come.