Home Coming

"You don't want to see esteemed Prince Zuko?"

Azulon found a good night sleep did nothing to quell the anger he felt towards his youngest son, yet his anger didn't prevent him from getting his proper rest. Other emotions stewed in his head such as grief from losing Lu Ten mixed with both joy and sadness at the thought of seeing his eldest son again in a few days. "No. I am still furious with Ozai for his insolence. Prince Zuko is an innocent in all of this and does not need to feel my wrath."

"And what shall we tell esteemed Prince Zuko?"

"Nothing. The boy deserves to hear what is going on from myself or Iroh, but I wish to explain things to General Iroh before, yet having my eldest there at the time will help. Make sure my grandson is taken care of until then, but report back to me regarding how Prince Zuko is fairing.

The servant in charge of Iroh's household did in fact report back the fact Zuko didn't earth breakfast and picked at his later meals which proved as disheartening as the fact Zuko didn't let the servants perform their duties regarding the young prince's daily wardrobe. "Iroh will return soon and that will be set right."

What he did not expect was Iroh arriving home in secretor his eldest son bringing his youngest grandson with him. Azulon took note of how Iroh's mouth twisted into a deep frown, but Iroh's eyes betrayed the anger the crown prince felt towards his own father before his manner of speech did. "Fire Lord Azulon."

Azulon brushed off the curt greeting and instead focused on his small grandson who stood next to Iroh. The child's delicate fingers rested gently in the hand of The Dragon of the West's own hand while Zuko's eyes remained wide. Tears welled in the corner's of Zukos eyes; worse, Azulon recognized the look of fear."

"Zuko." Azulon folded one hand over the other in his lap. "Come here."

He watched Zuko's attempt of compliance stop when Iroh's hand tightened slightly around the child's. The young prince's head turned so he might look up with his golden eyes into those of Iroh. Azulon watched his oldest shake his head at Zuko before continuing to glare at his father.

"Iroh, your brother has already tried my patience. Don't..."

Azulon stopped speaking when Zuko's head jerked so the child now looked the Fire Lord in the eye. The child's mouth opened slightly, yet his golden eyes which matched those of the previous Fire Lord Widened. Azulon watched Zuko quickly jerk his hand out of Iroh's grip before stepping forward. Zuko's small hands tucked behind his back as he stepped briskly towards his grandfather. Despite tears still welling in the corners of his eyes the boy bowed and made the proper hand jester when he arrived in front of the Fire Lord. The fear in the boy's eyes became replaced by a look of determination.

The corner of Azulon's mouth twitched slightly. "Zuko, are you afraid of me?"

The Fire Lord watched a look of surprise appear on his grandson's face. Zuko's mouth opened, yet no words came out. The child's golden eyes move in a manner which indicated he was thinking of an answer.

"Let's fix that." Azulon reached out for his young grandson and gently lifted the boy into his lap. The action surprised Zuko making the boy let out a slight gasp. Azulon settled the boy on his knee before placing one of his arms behind the child. The Fire Lord's eyes drifted over towards Iroh and saw a look of fear on his son's face which reminded him of when the crown prince was younger and expecting a lecture for getting into some kind of trouble. While he found himself perturbed by the strange turn of events, Azulon's focus remained on his grandchild. "Tell me child. Why are you afraid of me?"

"I..."

"Be truthful now."

"Isn't everyone supposed to be afraid of the Fire Lord." Zuko's mouth twisted into a slight pout while he avoided making eye contact with her grandfather.