Examine

In the back of his mind, Iroh knew he felt as nervous about the visit to the royal physician as Zuko did. He didn't like making Zuko feel as if they were checking on his adequacy, yet he also found himself as worried about Zuko's eating habits as his father Holding onto Iroh's small hand helped; he noticed the boy's hands weren't yet calloused like his and Lu Ten's were.

They arrived at the royal physician and found Azulon also waiting for them. Iroh watches Zuko's eyes go wide before looking up at him while the physician bowed. "Your grandfather is worried about your wellbeing as well."

"Welcome, Esteemed Prince Zuko." The physician remained in the bow. "Your grandfather has sworn me to secrecy regarding the change in the family until it can officially be announced, so you need not worry about that. I will also take good care of you."

Zuko's golden eyes looked at the man in confusion. Iroh let go of his hand and pushed on the middle of his back. "Go on." Zuko hesitated. "Would you like your grandfather and me to step out of the room? Would that make you more comfortable?"

The young prince shook his head, yet Iroh imagined wanting an adult family member around during such visits with the royal physician given the fact Zuko would soon hit puberty; he remembered Lu Ten stopped wanting family with him around this time if not earlier.

Iroh sat down and watched the physician go to work examining the young prince. The man examined carefully the records in front of him, yet frowned when listening to Zuko's lungs. When he finished, Azulon spoke. "The first order of business is to discuss my worries regarding Prince Zuko's eating habits."

"By that you mean whether he's been getting enough nutrition for his growing body." The physician turned towards Zuko. "Prince Zuko, has anyone told you that eating is important to grow stronger?"

"Mother."

"Anybody else?" Zuko shook his head.

"This next question may feel a bit intrusive, but how much do you eat compared to others your age."

Iroh watched Zuko frown. "I only have Azula to compare with."

"I see. Is it less or more."

"Less."

Azulon's hands tightened allowing Iroh the chance of seeing the whites of his father's knuckles. "So he starved you as well?"

"No." Zuko glanced at his grandfather. "I'm just slow."

"What do you mean by that, Prince Zuko?"

"I don't typically finish before dinner is over. Azula is also quicker, everyone is."

"Alright. Do you have a reason for eating slow?"

"I don't like being messy."

Iroh saw the anger on his father's face, but so did Zuko. He decided to intervene this time. "Is this because Ozai doesn't like it?"

"No. I don't like it."

The answer certainly wasn't expected. The physician jotted down a few notes. "We definitely need to get your nutritional intake up. With permission from the Fire Lord and General Iroh, I would like to oversee your nutritional intake."

"Yes. You have our permission."

One of Iroh's eyebrows shot up, yet he didn't argue with his father regarding the giving of permission. "What would this overseeing consist of?"

The man frowned. "Would it be possible if I talk to the Fire Lord and General Iroh alone?"

"Am I in trouble?"

"No, Esteemed Prince Zuko, you are not. However, these are things for adults to worry about."

"I see." Zuko glanced over at his grandfather who nodded his head.

As Zuko left the room, Iroh reached out and squeezed his shoulder. "I'll be out soon."

The door closed behind. The Fire Lord looked at the royal physician in irritation. "What was it you couldn't discuss in front of my grandson?"

"Were either of you aware of the fact the prince was born prematurely?"

Iroh's eyes widened. "Ozai said nothing."

"Prince Ozai also insisted the physicians attending at the time were wrong and didn't wish to listen to what we suggest regarding..." The physician stopped short.

"May I see the record for Prince Zuko's birth?"

"Yes, Fire Lord." The physician handed the record over to Fire Lord Azulon.

"I see."

"You see what, father?"

"Nothing you need to worry yourself about at this time Iroh."

Iroh watched his father hand the document back. For a brief second, he wanted to go against his father and see what his father saw. He instead chose to redirect the conversation. "Is the fact Zuko was born prematurely and issue?"

"When a child is born prematurely, they need extra care, care Prince Ozai didn't feel Prince Zuko needed, but he became frustrated when Prince Zuko didn't reach certain goals at the same time as his peers. This is actually expected when a child is born prematurely that they'll meet certain goals later. This actually includes learning the coordination required to eat at the pace their peers do, yet Prince Ozai's been insistent about the issue lies elsewhere."

"Prince Zuko's also struggles with Fire Bending. He's behind his peers."

"That's understandable given the fact Prince Zuko's breathing issues were never properly addressed. This is something he's struggled with since infancy, but it also isn't something that can't be remedied."

"This is because Prince Ozai was yet again neglectful?"

"I wouldn't say intentionally neglectful. Prince Ozai was definitely in denial that Prince Zuko was premature, Fire Lord. He was also rather ignorant regarding the fact we royal physicians actually know how to do our job and honestly thinks he knows better."

"Yes. Prince Ozai is arrogant."

"I guess teaching tsungi horn to Prince Zuko is a definite must as this will definitely help strengthen his lungs." Iroh sighed. "I guess I know what he and I will be doing this afternoon."

"Is there anything else we should know."

"Prince Zuko's coordination is behind his peers. While it may appear he is clumsy it is more of his body needs more time to get used to certain motions."

"Something he didn't have the patience for, yet I suspect he couldn't care less if Prince Zuko died as he's focuses his attention on the child who did hit all of the markers on time. I am not looking forward to his report regarding Zuko's studies. Will you write up other suggestions for Prince Zuko in regards to strengthening his lungs and body? Send them to my son, Prince Iroh."

"Yes. I will send them to Prince Iroh." The royal physician bowed. "Thank you for allowing me to care for the prince."

"No need to thank me, as you are doing the task you've been assigned and trained for."

"I think I'll go and see Zuko." Iroh pushed himself up from the chair and headed to the door. He found Zuko leaning up against the wall looking at his feet. The boy shuffled slightly, yet didn't look him in the eye. "Oh. You're not going to let me see those handsome eyes of yours?"

Zuko's head darted up allowing Iroh to see the boy's golden eyes. "What did he say?"

"Nothing bad. A lot of good. He's actually going to send me some advice that will help me help you."

"How?" Zuko's lips pushed together.

"Why, with breath control of course. And helping you with coordination." Iroh watched the boy's face contort with confusion. "I told you this visit wasn't about figuring out if you were worthy of your position as my heir, but about us figuring out what we should do to help you."

The relief on Zuko's face was exhilarating.