Uphill

Every step forward with Zuko resulted in what felt like two steps back. The physician's presence made the young prince wary, yet Iroh found himself relieved when the physician gave Zuko a valid explanation regarding his presence which didn't involve the medical worries Iroh and Zulon held for the young heir. After the meal, Iroh felt relaxed as he and Zuko walked through the garden and started practicing the horn.

Then Ozai showed up.

There was no doubt in Iroh's mind. Ozai purposefully took advantage of Azulon's order regarding turning over the information regarding Zuko's lessons in hopes of agitating the young prince. Iroh couldn't mistake the intent for anything else, but the presence of Azula felt like a confirmation. Iroh stepped aside so Zuko wouldn't hear anything Ozai said, yet stayed close enough as he didn't trust Azulon.

Ozai handed over the papers he brought with a rather smug look on his face. A cursory look dissatisfied Iroh; the notes indicated a poor showing regarding Zuko's academics. His eyes flickered up towards his brother's questioning the man's motivations. Ozai opened his mouth. "I don't know what you were expecting."

"Excuse me?"

"Zuko is not Azula, as evident by the records I've given you."

Iroh's eyes drifted down towards the notes regarding Zuko's progress in the various subjects. He found one glance enough to know his nephew was behind where he and Ozai were at the same age. A second glance revealed subjects such as calligraphy missing from the list-making him wonder the reason, yet he brushed this aside realizing other things which were considered proper etiquette for a young prince when he faced his own tutors weren't there, likely because Ozai thought such things useless.

"These records tell me little."

"Do I need Azula and Zuko to spar for..."

"Don't!" Iroh felt his voice strain.

"Then you're aware..."

"...you neglected Zuko's education in favor of Azula?" Iroh tucked the stack of papers under his arm. He fully intended on going over the papers more thoroughly after he retreated towards his personal study. A quick glance towards the two children made him let out a sigh. The look on Azula's face and the way Zuko didn't look him in the eye indicated she'd manipulated her older brother yet again. "Anyways, you've delivered the requested papers."

"You aren't going to let Azula spend some time with her brother? Surely you don't think she should be punished like I am being punished? She did not transgress as I did."

"You and I both know Azula isn't as innocent as you make her out to be, but it is rather obvious she's upset Zuko. That's what you wanted though, so perhaps it is time the two of you leave. If you take this as a lack of hospitality on my part, then so be it, but my concerns right now are definitely that boy."

"Good luck. Zuko's teachers found him impossible."

Iroh watched Ozai turn and head out of the garden. A quick motion with his hand made Azula follow after him. Approaching Zuko waited until the two were out of sight. He sat down and let out a deep sigh. "What did Azula say which upset you so?" Iroh glanced over; Zuko glanced away. "I'm missing those golden eyes of your's little one." He watched Zuko's head turned, but the manner in which the young prince worried his bottom list was obvious. "You can tell me the truth, you know."

"I don't want Azula to get in trouble."

The general couldn't help but let out a deep sigh. He glanced away. "I know how you feel."

"I... what?"

"I didn't want Ozai to get in trouble with father either. She's your sister, so you love her despite everything she does wrong, just like I love Ozai despite what he's done wrong."

Iroh turned his head and saw Zuko thinking over those words. The boy looked up at him with a few tears in his eyes. "Why? Why do I feel that way when what she says..." Zuko let out a sigh and leaned back on his hands slightly. "I know what she said wasn't true. Grandfather didn't change his mind to cover up an order to father to kill me. He never ordered me dead in the first place."

"I think she's jealous."

"What is there to be jealous of?"

"You don't like being my son and Lu-Ten's younger brother?"

"No. That..." Zuko looked at the ground. "It's not something I'd think she'd want."

"Well, the position does bring you closer to the throne, but I must admit I honestly don't understand either one's motives beyond that. Power – I want you to remember, dear Zuko, that power is something people covet after and some will do anything to gain that power for themselves. That's why we, as members of the royal family, must be all too aware of our surroundings and of potential assassins."

"Oh." Zuko glanced away. "Then I don't want power."

"Ah, but power allows others to protect what the love and care for. It's like a coin. One side is good, the other bad." Iroh watched Zuko turn and look at the records tucked under the man's arm.

"You didn't like what you saw, did you?"

"I noticed your record is missing subjects such as calligraphy."

"Father said we learned that well enough we didn't need to learn it anymore." Zuko's mouth twisted slightly before he turned towards Iroh. "I actually liked the calligraphy lessons. The teacher actually praised me, so I might be good at it. It was relaxing."

"We can have your calligraphy lessons continued. I'd like you to tell me who said instructor was."

"I doubt he'd return to the palace. Not after Azula didn't take his comments regarding her calligraphy well."

"Ah. So we come to the real reason Ozai stopped the lessons."

"You mean the fact Azula didn't hesitate in using Firebending against the instructor?"

Iroh took in a deep breath. "No. I was thinking your father stopped the lessons because that was something you were good at and Azula wasn't."

"No. That doesn't make any sense."

"No, it doesn't. Nothing regarding Azula makes any sense, to be honest."

Note - I've decided this NaNoWriMo will be my first year where I work on multiple projects including an already started work - this one.