Politics

The presentation of Zuko going better than Azulon expected didn't mean there wouldn't be any political ramifications he and Iroh would need to deal with.

A few days after the presentation - the same day Zuko had the playdate with his companions and Azulon came up with the idea of introducing a playwright as Zuko's history teacher - meetings with the Fire Lord were requested. He sat on his throne, behind his firewall watching as each person was brought in.

"We're concerned that the young prince is a bit soft."

Azulon's mouth twisted in amusement at this; Zuko's softness was something he was counting on, yet softness didn't mean a person couldn't prove a capable fighter. Princess Ursa herself proved this quite true. In fact, Azulon delighted in the fact Zuko had nothing in common with Ozai. "So?"

"The esteemed prince, he was not given the same rigorous lessons the late Esteemed Prince Lu Ten was. Will he be fine?"

"General Iroh and I are handling the instruction of the Esteemed Prince Zuko. You need not worry regarding whether or not he'll live up to the expectations of the late Esteemed Prince Lu Ten's memory."

"Thank you for putting our worries at ease, Fire Lord. We will let any others who voice the same worry what you have told us."

"Do so." Azulon waved them away, telling them they were dismissed. There was the chance Ozai was plotting behind his back, already presenting Zuko as inadequate for the position he now filled within the royal family. If the men in front of him were in league with Ozai, they carefully didn't let anything slip. "Who is next?"

The servant introducing those with business with the Fire Lord bowed. "Lord Ukano and Lady Michi wish to discuss with you the arranged marriage between their daughter and the Esteemed Prince Zuko."

Azulon let out a sigh, yet gave the affirmative for the two to enter. His eyes narrowed, knowing full well Ozai held Zuko in low esteem. As such, any arranged marriage was done out of the opportunity to build political alliances.

He watched Lord Ukano bow low to the ground, his wife bowing low as well. "Speak."

"Fire Lord Azulon, we are wishing to know if you will honor the arranged marriage contract originally agreed to by Prince Ozai."

"Even if Princess Ursa were to have also agreed, the arranged marriage contract is null and void when Prince Zuko became the son of Prince Iroh."

"Then maybe seek negotiations regarding a new contract between Prince Zuko and our daughter Mai?"

"You may seek negotiations regarding a potential arranged marriage between your daughter and the esteemed prince just like any other parent with a daughter around his age may." Azulon felt his mouth twist in amusement at the sight of the man flinching while his wife sneaked a quick glance at her husband. "Do you really think it is fair that your daughter should be favored for the chance of becoming the wife of the heir over other daughters of noble families?"

"No. It would only be fair that the daughters of other noble families would have the same chance as our daughter."

"Good." Azulon narrowed his eyes. "However, I should forewarn you that any negotiations regarding an arranged marriage with the esteemed prince are the prerogative of the crown prince, his father, not mine. If the crown prince did not agree to an arranged marriage for his firstborn, why would he agree to an arranged marriage for his youngest?"

"To guarantee the bloodline would continue."

"That is a valid reason for the crown prince to enter into negotiations for the current esteemed prince. However, Prince Iroh and I are both aware these negotiations for the other side are a method for a noble family to garner political power. You are dismissed."