Visiting Piando's

"There are things I can't talk to you until you are older. Things that I will tell you eventually as you will need to eventually know them. This truth I can tell you now. I shouldn't have come home." The words Akira's father spoke after learning he'd been selected as a companion for Zuko remained stuck in Akira's head. "Let's just say I made a promise to a good friend that I'd do something for him if he couldn't make it home." Despite spending a lot of time – time he enjoyed – with the young prince, Akira didn't think anything of the matter.

Of course, a lot of things bothered the young Firebender, including the fact Zuko seemed troubled by his progress regarding his Firebending training. He told the young prince he felt his uncle held off for a specific reason and thus didn't try teaching the younger Firebender anything despite honestly wanting to. He did, however, observe Zuko's basics by going over his own at the same time a few of the times he visited the young prince.

Hideki, of course, didn't see anything wrong with the way the young prince moved let alone breathed, yet the struggles the young prince faced made Zuko's irritation regarding his younger sisters abilities seem even more specific, not to mention the conversation with his father where his father didn't chide him for bringing up the fact he thought Ozai favored his daughter over the young prince.

He ached for the younger boy, knowing how frustrated Zuko was regarding the matter – although he did see some improvements each time in regard to the prince's breathing. What he didn't expect was for General Iroh to show up at his family home one day and randomly say, "I'm traveling to the Earth Nation and I want you to go with me!"

The behavior was... Akira still wasn't sure how to describe the Crown Prince's behavior, yet in the back of his mind he wondered if leaving Zuko alone while Iroh traveled to the Earth Nation seemed as if he were abandoning the young prince and yet another part of the family which didn't care; he'd even noted he'd shipped Zuko off to Piandao as if that were a normal everyday thing. Despite not knowing how to feel, he couldn't say no to stopping by like Iroh requested.

As such, he and Hideki found themselves traveling along a dusty path to a renovated Fire Nation castle. Hideki's mouth twisted into a frown. "So, how does someone whose not a noble come to have such a place."

"Rumor has it the place was abandoned, but nobody questioned it given Lord Piandao's service."

"He's not fighting anymore? I didn't think they let you retire form the Fire Nation Army."

"Rumor has it he defeated a hundred soldiers and thus earned the right to live his life in peace." Akira let out a deep breath. "However, rumor also has it that his ability with the sword and the fact many seek him out as a teacher with him only taking specific students on is another issue."

"You seem to know a lot."

"I did my research. I wanted to know what kind of person Lord Piandao is, given the fact Zuko is in his care." Indeed, he'd taken his time to look into the man, something regarding Iroh's actions still bothering him, particularly with the fact a Firebender should focus their studies on Firebending, yet Iroh openly avoided doing so. Akira still remembered the look of frustration on Zuko's face when the issue came up.

Of course, there was also the fact a Firebender learning the sword was seen as an admittance of weakness, or so he'd been told over and over growing up.

The Crown Prince of all people should know the use of anything but one's own Firebending skill was seen as a weakness, yet he still brought Zuko to Piandao to learn the way of the sword. Zuko likely knew as well, yet his own weakness – he still remembered how Zuko compared himself to his younger sister, noting how the young prince constantly compared himself.