The Meaning of Sacrifice

"What does the word sacrifice mean to you Zuko?"

Iroh watched Zuko's head dart up from where he sat at the Fire Lord's dining room table. The boy's mouth twisted slightly, yet he saw in his nephews' golden eyes an inkling of the fear which haunted the boy since he returned. In the back of his mind, he felt unsure the question his father asked was, in fact, the right direction to start the conversation discussing what kind of say Zuko would have regarding the sudden change in his life.

"The word sacrifice means the person doing the sacrifice is expected to give something up."

Careful observation of his nephew revealed things Iroh wished he might deny. The thought his own brother neglected his own flesh and blood made his stomach churn painfully. He forced a smile onto his face while watching his nephew Firebend. The last thing he wished was for Zuko to think he was lying about taking delight in the boy's display of Firebending. He did indeed feel delighted watching his nephew bend with such earnest and determination, yet he knew Zuko was far behind his peers.

"What if I were to ask you to sacrifice your favorite toy?"

Iroh watched his nephew closely and saw the look of confusion yet remembered the look of confusion on Zuko's face when he complimented the boy. Even when Zuko did something right he struggled with believing the truth revealing just how starved for any form of compliment the boy was, yet he found his mouth twisting wondering if bringing up something as important to a child as a toy was the right idea given the situation. He didn't, however, expect what Zuko actually said.

"What do you mean you don't have any toys? Do you not still have the stuffed Tiger Monkey I gave you?"

Zuko's lip quivered slightly, but he slid down slightly while his eyes looked down at the table. He quickly glanced up at Iroh who looked at him with wide eyes. Iroh's mouth opened slightly, yet he found himself unable to say anything. He instead remembered the delight Azulon took in picking out the toy for Zuko's first birthday, but the pride his father showed. The crown prince glanced over at the Fire Lord and saw a look which indicated the man didn't like his gift being forgotten.

"Father said I was too old." The strain in Zuko's voice made Iroh turn his head, yet it crossed his mind there were a lot of things Ozai told Zuko which were inappropriate. His thoughts turned towards Lu Ten, who eventually did outgrow his own toys, yet Iroh never required his son to give up the toys. Instead, they remained tucked in a chest in hopes Lu Ten's future child might play with the toys, but they were treated as cherished possessions.

"Let me guess." The tone of voice used by Azulon was sharp and Zuko shrunk back slightly before his eyes darted around taking in the place. The young prince looked around the room ever since Iroh first brought him in, yet their meals had yet to be served and they were simply making small talk, so to speak, though the conversation, in reality, wasn't simply small talk. "He gave the toy to Azula?"

"No." Zuko looked down at the table while his lips pushed together. "Azula burned it."

Iroh glanced from his nephew to his father and saw the look of disappointment on his father's face. The Fire Lord took a deep breath before continuing while Zuko's eyes remained on the table. "Is there anything of importance to you?"

Zuko's head darted up, but a smile appeared on his face. "The knife uncle gave me."

The crown prince felt a smile spread across his face, yet in the back of his mind, he wondered how Zuko would react to wherever the Fire Lord was going with the conversation. "What if I were to ask you to sacrifice that knife?"

The smile fell from Zuko's face as Iroh expected, but the boy swallowed. The small hands which once rested on the top of the table now shifted to his lap. "You would expect me to give you that knife."