Memories

My side ached. Not excruciating, more just annoying. I felt Ghost's head resting on my lap. Ghost...I named him after Jon Snow's albino dire wolf from Game of Thrones...I remember now.

——flashback——

I was running. I always seem to be running. Smoke filled the air. I could hear screams and shouts of the people in the castle. Lucky for them stone walls don't burn well.

A crash sounded from behind me. I paused long enough to see the roof to the kennel had partially collapsed. The yelps of frightened dogs was more than I could take. I ran towards it.

The guards had scattered when the roof collapsed leaving the hounds inside to die in their cages. I forced the door open. One by one I opened cage doors. The dogs ran for it. I was ready to follow when I whine caught my attention.

Under the rumble was trapped a runt of the litter. The poor thing had been left by his mother when he couldn't free himself. His red eyes reflected fear in the fire light.

Looking around frantically I grabbed a broken piece of cage. Using it I managed to lift the rubble just enough for the little guy to squeeze through. I picked him up and bolted from the room just in time for the rest of the roof to collapse.

—-later that night—-

"Thanks to you!" My father pointed an accusing finger at me, "we lost half the castle and twenty of our best dogs!"

I looked into his eyes unflinching, "you would have lost double that thanks to your useless guards that left them to burn! Incase you missed it the entire roof collapsed! It would take you years to rebuild the blood lines not to mention how many would have been wiped out entirely!" I snarled. "As for the castle! Maybe you should have thought of that before unleashing a monster in the dungeons!!"

He was in front of me hand aimed for my face. I caught it with ease.

"I am no longer a child you can beat or intimidate. Father." I spat.

His face turned red with rage. "You insolent brat! How dare you!"

"Oh I dare your grace." I whispered low enough the council couldn't hear. "Raise your hand against me again and you'll find yourself in the grave sooner than you intended."

——one year later——

Blood crept down my face, my raven hair falling loose if it's braid. Metal scrapped against metal as our swords danced. I can't let him kill me. If for no other reason than pure spite.

My challenger arched to high. I moved quicker than a snake. Metal tearing metal grated my ears. His sword hit the ground narrowly missing my shoulder.

I pulled my blade back looking into the eyes of my father. His face was contorted with rage. I won this round.

——two years later——

"No." Ghost sat by my side glaring at anyone who moved.

"No?" My father's voice was colder than the arctic.

"I refuse." I lifted my head higher. "If you don't like it than put your bastard on the throne."

"Very well then. Eris Of Karmaria, you are here by banished from this kingdom." My father's face didn't falter.

Audible gasps came from around the court. I inclined my head slightly. I turned head held high as points and whispers followed me from the room. Ghost let out a warning growl before following.