New York's Magic

When Luna was nine years old, Xenophilus Lovegood took his daughter camping in New York.

They walked through the city first. He wanted to show Luna the strange beauty of the city. Oddly, it was like the strange beauty of the girl called Luna Lovegood.

Mr. Lovegood had met Luna's mother in New York, and he was planning to tell his daughter about it.

If only he could get the nerve; every time he looked at Luna, he saw her mother, and he didn't know if he could do it.

He ended up not having to.

Luna wasn't enjoying New York. There were twice as many monsters in New York than in London. The monsters in New York were also a lot bigger, and to nine-year-old Luna, they looked like giants—very scary giants.

She had been grateful when her father had taken her out of the city to their camping location. Outside the city, she didn't have to see the creatures anymore, which was a very good thing because Luna didn't think she could avoid them forever. Luna's day became much more enjoyable without having to spot grotesque monsters walking down the street.

Her first night in New York was eventful. Luna had trouble sleeping that night curled up on her bunk in the enchanted tent. The wines and chirps of the woods weren't the problems; it was the unearthly howls of things that didn't sound quite like werewolves but weren't normal wolves either.

Then the chirping stopped.

Luna took in a deep breath. She considered waking her father, but Luna knew from experience he would just wave the matter aside. He waved off problems a lot.

Luna took initiative, and with her small little nine-year body she launched herself off the bunk, put on shoes, grabbed her father's wand, and marched outside, hoping that it wasn't a bear.

It was much worse than a bear.

To a nine-year-old, the monster was gianormous. It looked sort of like a dog, but with bigger fangs, bigger claws, and more nastiness. Luna had never seen a creature like it before, and she was pretty sure the wizarding world didn't have anything like it either.

Luna did what any normal nine-year-old would do: she accidentally dropped the thing she was holding, her father's wand, and turned to run. She sprinted as her life depended on it.

The hellish beast ran after her.

Her life did depend on it.

Luna ran as fast as her feet would carry her, sparing no breath to scream.

She ran past trees, bushes, rocks of all sizes, and odd patches of grass. She nearly tripped countless times, but the chase never lightened.

To Luna, it felt like a lifetime. Sometime during her minor lifetime, the little thread buried within her gut that had made her wistful for so long came to life with new vigor. It urged her onward, and she ran as she had never run before.

The thing that saved Luna's life, in the end, was that the trees were so dense the monstrous creature had to barrel through the trees—toppling them in the process—whereas Luna could slip between the trunks without a scratch.

She still got plenty of scratches: from bushes, branches, leaves, rocks, and near misses.
It couldn't last forever, though. Luna was about to collapse from exhaustion when she saw a large pine tree at the top of the hill, and beyond the hill, light.

Luna ran toward the light.

But the monster was right behind.

Luna was scared the beast would catch up. It would have to, if not for a bit of accidental magic that caused a branch of the pine tree she passed to fall on the beast's nose.

Then Luna looked ahead and saw a strange camp, with purple fire and people singing, she passed the tree.

The monster let out a howl a rage. Not only had the creature had a tree limb fall on his nose, but he also ran into an invisible wall and had his prey escape. The monster turned and ran away in defeat.

Luna was happy, but her body felt awful, she was lost, lost her father's wand, and didn't know where she was.

Luna did the best possible option available to her. She turned and walked toward the big house in front of the strawberry fields, away from the singing echoing into the night.

She would ask for directions—or whatever thing the muggles used—to contact her father. If they were bad people, well, then she hoped her father would figure out where she went.

But Luna knew these people weren't muggles courtesy of the invisible barrier and the purple fire. However, Luna had a sneaking suspicion that invisible barriers and purple fire weren't normal American wizardry things.

Luna wondered where the monster had chased her to, and why did one suddenly attach her, and, not for the first time, where all the monsters came from.

Luna could tell she was about to see an entirely different type of magic, a New York magic.

So I got a better cover, thanks Google. I definitely don't have any accent needed in this story, so sorry about that. Still only own the plot unless I somehow fused myself, switched bodies, swapped faces, or other crazy sci-fi stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story.

"I don't want to stop celebrating back to school, no matter how stupid it is, because then that means school's started."

-Me sister

Hope you're not as sane as I am,

Me