A New Family

I was sitting in the parlor again with Mother and Father. Again they looked about fifiteen years younger than they did now. They were talking, and it sounded serious.

"...died last night," Mother was saying.

"Died? How?! They had the beta, beta's mate, and warrior wolves with them!" my father said, clearly upset.

"I don't know. They are saying it was a freak shooting. A crazy man just took out a gun and shot them all. But I don't believe that. How could they hae gotten through them all? No, no, I think it was rogues."

"Rogues? You mean the LWT? Well, it would have had to be organized so I guess it makes sense, but I don't know."

"Honestly? Neither do I. But I do know one thing. The little Luna survived. They're putting her in hiding."

"How coould you possibly know that? They wouldn't tell anyone except-" Father cut short, and his eyes went wide as the realization dawned.

"Except the family they are giving her to." Mother conclude quietly.

"Why?"

"Well apparently, the Alpha never trusted many people, and we are the only ones he did still alive."

"So because we can be trusted in giving advise about poitics, they expect us to raise a child? And not just a child, but a Luna child?"

"Look, they said he trusted us, and we'd be far enough away as to not be suspicious." Mother continued.

"So there is no going back on this? No way to get out of it?"

Mother smiled sadly, "Sorry, but no. But we get to raise her. We'll get to give her a happy and normal-"

"Indigo," my father cut her off quietly.

"What?" my mother asked, surprised and confused.

"We'll name her Indigo. You can choose the middle name."

"So, you're okay with this?"

"I don't see much of a choice," Father leaned back into his chair and put his hands behind his head. "And I've always wanted a daughter."

"Calypso," Mother stated. "Her name will be Calypso Indigo."

"No, no, no, Indigo Calypso, darling."

My mother smiled slyly and said quietly, "We'll see."

As the dream started to drift away, I couldn't help but be confused. What did this all mean about me? I'd have to ask Father later.

But Father hated me.

I snapped myself awake and looked around, hoping it had all been a dream. No such luck. I was in a tent and I could smell the woods around me. "Hello?" I called out. It seemed to be midday; I could see light steaming through the tent canvas.

I heard the zipper pull down, and then a man stuck his head in. "Hello darling," he said, "How are you?"

"Who are you?" I asked, and I'll admit, it wasn't kindly.

"Now, now, don't get feisty, I did just save your life." The man had spiky black hair and a cocky smirk. His forget-me-not blue eyes stood out against his perfectly tanned face, with high cheekbones and a square jaw. He seemed to be in his late teens. So I gues he was more of a boy, really. "Tell me your name," he said.

For some reason, I thought I could trust him, so I said, "Indigo."

"Is that your original name or chosen name?"