Alpha Trouble

Flashback (Lenus's Past)

The next few weeks were actually really boring. I went back to school the next day, and I was almost completely healed. I just had a small bruise on my eyes and a bandage on my nose to keep it in place. All of my friends thought that I had picked a fight, and that it was my own fault I had the bruises. I kept trying to explain to them that I hadn't picked a fight, but they didn't believe me. Needless to say, they drifted even farther away from me.

I had to shift into my wolf form every two weeks, per Richard's request. Thankfully, Juvo hadn't run me into any more walls and he was now talking to me again, after I promised to never lock him out again. I could see my life slowly fading to what it used to be, where I was a lonely orphan just looking for one person to be friends with, one person to understand. 

These were my thoughts as I exited the bus and walked into my home three weeks after I had gotten sick. I walked in and called out, "Jane! I'm home!" I waited for her familiar response, but it never came. "Jane?" I walked to the laundry room, where she usually was when I got home. I opened the door and the sight in front of me was so unexpected, I froze. 

There was Jane with Richard right next to her, kneeling on the ground with gags in their mouths. They met my eyes with a panicked look and shook their heads, 'No.' Richard kept glancing at the door, like saying, 'Get out now!' I was frozen. I looked up from the kneeling couple and saw a man. But not just a man. A huge man.

He was easily 6' 6" and had muscles the size of China. He had long light brown hair that touched the nape of his neck and a face that I was sure would give me nightmares. 

It was scarred all over. A long white scar fell on his right cheek, while three smaller ones graced his left. I couldn't count how many trips to the hospital this man must have taken. The face was twisted gruesomely into a hard smile. I noticed that he had no weapon, but I didn't doubt his ability to kill all of us in a matter of seconds.

"Well, well, well, the boy returns. Or should I say wolf?" he said, looking me dead in the eye. I felt shocked and it must have shown as he said, "Oh yes, I know all about you. Now do you want to tell me what you're doing on my land?"

"You-your land?" I stammered. I couldn't think, I couldn't move.

"Don't play dumb. I know that you know that you are on my turf, rogue. I am the Alpha of this pack and I want to know why you are here."

"I- I don't-" I was at a loss for words. What did he mean?

"You know what? I am just going to give you two options. You can leave, right now. Get off my land and never return, or you can stay and watch me kill them. And then I'll kill you. Which is it going to be?"

"What? What are you talking about?! I'm in my own home, you are the one intruding!"

"I'll give you three seconds, and then the lady dies!"

"No!"

"One," he said, taking a step closer to Jane.

"No! No, don't!"

"Two!" he said, taking one step closer. I noticed that his hand had grown claws.

"Wait! You're like me, aren't you? You can shift!"

"Three!" he cried, closing the gap between him and Jane. He grabbed her head and made her face the ceiling, throat exposed.

"NO!!" I cried, but it was too late. He reached up and clawed her throat out. "Jane!!" I ran forward to catch her as he let her fall down. She was alive yet, but I knew that she could never survive this. "No, no, no, no, no... You can't die, no, it's all my fault, no, no, no..." I started to cry over her. She looked me right in the eyes and shook her head slightly. I grabbed her hand and brought it to my cheek. "You can't leave me, Mom." She looked at me and I saw tears in her eyes and a slight smile on her face as the light left her eyes. I shook my head and shakily stood up. 

I looked up at her killer and felt a familiar stab in my gut, but I held it back. I knew that I couldn't do anything to harm him. The most I could do was make sure no one else got hurt. He looked at me and said, "Three more seconds to leave, or I kill the man too." I looked over at Richard he had silent tears running down his face as he gazed at his wife, dead on the floor. "Three."

"Okay! Okay, I'll leave! I'm going! Just... Let me say goodbye." 

"Very well. You have ten seconds." He unbound Richard and pushed him forward, onto the ground.

I helped him up and pulled him into a hug. "I'm so sorry... I don't know what happened... it's all my fault..."

He pulled back and looked at me with tears in his eyes. "I love you, son. Don't let anybody tell you different. And Jane-" his voice cracked. He cleared it and said, "She loves you too. Now you've gotta be strong. You need to survive. No matter what happens, you need to make sure you at least survive. And try your hardest to live."

"Three seconds," the large man said.

"I'm scared, Dad. I'm scared."

"I know son. But you have to push through it. I will see you again someday. I love you. Damn, I love you." he pulled me into another rough hug.

"I love you too, Dad," I muttered into his shirt, before I was forcibly pulled back from him.

"That's time. Now get out." The man grabbed onto my shoulder and pulled me out of the house. He pushed me off of the stoop and said, "Go. Now." I didn't need to be told twice. I turned and ran away from my first real home. I didn't know it then, but I was also running away from my last true home and the last time that I would ever be able to be normal.