Protector

I woke to the smell of deer cooking. Unconsciously, a moan came from me. I was so hungry. I opened my eyes and saw that I was in my tent. Naked.

Okay then...

So, are you talking to me again?

Me too?

*sigh* Yeah, yeah, I guess. I mean, we're making a stupid decision, but you're right, they have protected us. They have been a family.

So no more snide remarks?

No.

No more calling us stupid?

No.

No more shouting in our heads or stony silence for days on end?

No.

Well, good, because I was-

In exchange for you two not making any more snide remarks about Mother and Father, no more calling me stupid, and no more lectures or stony silences for days. Do we have a deal?

Vir and I thought this over for sometime before both saying, "Yes."

Great. Now I want deer, how about you two?

I laughed and put on some clothes. Today it was a red plaid shirt, leggings, a zip up black hoodie, and some combat boots. I was getting better at robbing stores, and I wasn't sure if that was good or bad. As I put on the clothes, I noticed something else: my injuries were healed. Although, I still had a scar running down my right leg. Dang, how long was I out?

When I stepped out of the tent my first reaction was to the little bear next to the entrance. I bent down and scratched his ears, saying, "Hey, Minimus. Hows it going for you?"

HI PROTECTOR.

I fell back a bit from Minimus, shocked. "Did you just... Can you...?"

CAN I WHAT PROTECTOR? 

"Can you understand me? I mean, like, hear what I'm saying?"

OF COURSE I CAN HEAR YOU, SILLY. CAN YOU GIVE ME A BELLY RUB?

Minimus rolled over onto his back and put his paws in the air, like a little dog. I laughed and rubbed his tummy as instructed. His voice, it seemed, was only in my head, because he didn't move his lips when he spoke. His little voice was so cute, it matched his personality perfectly. He was so sweet, really just a little cub. This only reminded me, though, that I had been the one to take his mother away.

I'm sorry. (I thought. I sent it to Minimus hoping he'd receive it)

SORRY FOR WHAT? 

Everything.

I got up and walked towards the fire with Minimus at my heels. I saw Blod tending the fire and I sat next to her. "Hi," I said.

She looked startled when she heard me and turned my way. "Indigo?" she asked.

WHAT AM I, CHOPPED LIVER?

"Yep. And Minimus, too," I said, scratching his ears.

THANK YOU.

"Your awake," she said, blatantly dumbfounded.

"Yes I am," I said and she continued to stare at me, her green eyes wide. "And have you seen Lenus, I wanted to thank him for when he was caring for me in that clearing with the bear."

"Lenus?" Blod asked, confused. "No... What? I can't believe you're awake..."

"Okay, am I missing something? Because you seem to be staring at me alot."