Chapter 7

~ Chapter Seven ~

Grinning from ear to ear, I walk into my flat and step over the pile of mail lying on the floor below the mail slot. Locking the door, I lean back, close my eyes and delight in the warm, fuzzy tingling sensations of happiness rioting through my body. I miss his touch already and quiver at the explicit memories of Jamie’s wet tongue and velvet hardness pressed against me. Oh hell, so much for keeping an emotional safe distance. I wrap my arms around my waist in a hug reminding myself I deserve to be treated with love and adoration. It’s been so long since I’ve felt life is worth living the journey.

I pick up my mail and jog up the stairs to my room. Throwing the mail down on my bed, I decide to change first and cozy up with a cup of tea before I open all of it.

My favorite pajamas are clean and folded in the laundry basket, reminding me that even the little things in life are going my way. I slide into the warm flannel, plaid pants and soft long-sleeved, grey shirt. Silver and white snowflakes form a pretty flower pattern on the front. Ella bought them for me to cheer me up after I left Aiden and moved back in with Nate and her. It was the beginning of my recovery process. Erika and Ella bought all new items for me: toiletries, clothes, shoes, makeup, and linens. Knowing I left all my personal belongings behind that earth-shattering night, I never went back to Aiden’s to retrieve them.

       Hopping into my slippers, I plod downstairs to the kitchen to make a cup of tea. While it’s steeping, I check to ensure all the doors are locked and leave one lamp turned on.

        I have to be at work tomorrow morning early to catch up from the snow day. Taking my tea, I head back upstairs, climb under the covers on my bed, and sink into the plush mattress. I sit propped against my pillows, hugging my cup against my chest to warm up and refocus my attention on the bundle of mail to sort. The catalogs are separated for perusing later, while the bills and miscellaneous advertisements and junk mail are stacked to open now. Unexpectedly, I see a personal note card and open it. The hand written message reads:

I know where you were last night -

Why are you trying to make me jealous?

     Oh Shit! Aiden was here! There’s no post mark on the envelope or address, so he must have stuffed it in the mail slot. He knows where I live! My heart starts racing as my anxiety level races straight to panic overload! I feel nauseous and grab my phone to ring Erika.

     As soon as she answers I launch into the details with haste.

     “Erika, it’s Audrey, I think Aiden followed me to Jamie’s house last night and dropped a note off at my flat while I was staying at Jamie’s!”

     “Calm down and talk slowly so I can understand you. Are you all right?”

     “I don’t know. Aiden knows where I live and left a note for me.” 

     Calming down, I read the note card to her.

     “Jealous?” Erika sounds disgusted and begins to rant. “His insanity is off the charts! Are you sure you are all right? Do you want me to come over? He is certifiably nuts! If he is following you, you have to file a restraining order, Audrey. This situation is not something to play around with.”

     “I know you’re right, I just don’t want to over-react.” Pausing to sigh, “Why now after eight months of silence from him, does he suddenly want to contact me?”

     “Because he knows you were the best thing that ever happened to him.”

     “Apparently, I didn’t give him the best sex he ever had; he went looking for someone else to give him that.”