Haunted

It was a good day, it was a good few weeks. The weather was nice. My work was good. No one knows anything about my past. Everything was fine until I went to the mall.

I was trying out a new jacket. I figured I'm making money, might as well get some new stuff. That was when I saw her, Riley. She looked great. Having fun and smiling and laughing, until she saw me.

I tried to get out of the shop as fast as I could but Riley already called me. I was afraid she might be upset, angry. Guess what? She was.

Riley: Nick, what are you doing here?

Nick: I was just looking for something to buy. But I was just leaving.

Riley: How are the Thompsons? Did they find out who you are yet?

Nick: It doesn't matter.

Riley: Why? You know, you never told me what happened. Not with them, not with your life. I was your best friend. You just abandoned me.

Nick: I'm so sorry Riley.

Riley: You never even told me why. I deserve at least an explanation.

Nick: Can we do it later? Maybe when you're alone.

Riley: My parents can get busy. Well?

Nick: Well...( I take a deep breath. My hands start shaking and my stomach starts knotting. ) after my dad was arrested, we found out that we were sabotaged by the Thompsons. Liz took the food we made and not as many people kept coming. Ed denied my dad a loan even when my dad was a perfect candidate. Jeremy took our menus, the one I made with my own money and ripped them apart and Molly, Molly posted fake reviews about our restaurant.

Riley: And you started living with them? Are you insane?

Nick: No, well yes but it wasn't like that. I was sent to a couple named Sam and Dorothy Harbaugh, and they taught me everything I know.

Riley: About what?...What do you know Nick? What did they teach you?

Nick: (I can feel my throat closing up and my eyes getting watery) They taught me how to be a con artist.

Riley: So wait, you were running around town robbing people?

Nick: ....yes.

Riley: And you were gonna rob the Thompsons? For ruining your restaurant?!

Nick: It's not just that, my dad was sent to prison.

Riley: YEAH BECAUSE HE BORROWED MONEY FROM THE MOB AND ROBBED A STORE NICK!

Nick: I know that now!

Riley: So what? You still robbed the Thompsons right?

Nick: Not really. (I looked down on the ground. I could barely face her) My dad and I plotted against them. He wanted me to destroy them.

Riley: Tell me you didn't. Nick...tell me you didn't destroy the family that took you in.

Nick: I can't. I did...and they will never forgive me.

Riley: You're unbelievable Nick. That explains a lot though. Everything about that night. And why Molly was upset when I asked about you when I ran into her.

Nick: You saw her? How was she? I want her to be happy.

Riley: Well she was happy, until I asked about you. She was with her family. All of them were happy.

Nick: Why are you doing this? (I start tearing up. I couldn't hold back.)

Riley: Because you broke my heart Nick. I wanted to help and you kicked me out. On top of all that, you just told me you were a thief and a liar. I can't believe I was ever friends with you.

Riley started to walk away.

Nick: Riley wait!

I yelled out to her. She didn't look back at me. How could she? She was right.

It's really funny how it doesn't matter how much progress you make, there will always be that one thing that will send you back to the beginning.