10

The light coming from the TV is the only light in the apartment as I sit curled up on the couch watching the Office. Nervously, I glance my phone to see that it's two in the morning. Sighing, I look back at the door that hasn't opened since Luke left for his job. I promised myself I'd stay up and wait for him to make sure that he was okay. I'd sent him several texts and had tried to call him, but he hasn't responded to any of it.

My eyes are drifting shut when the door swings open. I scramble to a sitting position as Luke stumbles into the apartment. He trips over his own legs and I rush to catch him before he can face plant on the floor. He blinks at me in surprise. "You waited for me?" he murmurs.

"Yes," I say, helping him down the hallway. "And of course you're as drunk as can be. Luke, this is the kind of shit that got you into the mess in the first place."

"I know," he sobs, his voice breaking. "But it numbs the pain."

I frown as I gently lay him down on his bed. He stares up at the ceiling with a tortured expression that hurts to look at. Carefully, I ease his shoes off and set them on the floor. Deciding not to get him into something more comfortable, I turn to leave but he catches my hand.

"Please stay. I hate being alone. I get nightmares." His blue eyes are so full of agony that I'm taken off guard. Slowly, I nod and crawl up beside him. Leaving a fair amount of space between us, I curl up on my side and fall asleep to his even breathing.

*

When I open my eyes, I'm surprised to see Luke lying beside me. The events of last night come rushing back to me and I sigh in relief. So I didn't sleep with him. Good.

I swallow, wondering how I'm going to get out of here. His arm somehow ended up wrapped around my shoulders and my head on his chest. Slowly inching away, I curse myself mentally when he shifts beneath me.

His blue eyes lock on me and he immediately flies into a sitting position. "What the hell are you doing in here?" he demands sharply and I flinch from the venom in his tone.

"You were drunk and asked me to stay, so I did." I scowl slightly as I cross my arms. "You should be thanking me, you ungrateful asshole."

"Oh, so the grandmother can curse," he snaps back scathingly. "Oh, wait, except you can't be a grandmother. Because to be a grandmother, you have to have had sex at least once and you haven't had you? I guess a grandma's got one up on you, huh?"

Without thinking, I reach out and slap him hard. He stares at me in shock as I slide off the bed and storm out of his room. I was just trying to do something nice for him since he rescued me, but apparently once a dick, always a dick. That's the last time I'm nice to him, that's for sure. Just because we live together doesn't mean that we have to be friends.