18

I wake up with my head on Luke's chest, slowly blinking the sleep from my eyes. He's already awake, gently playing with my hair. I close my eyes in contentment, tempted to fall back asleep. But Luke shakes me softly, pressing his lips to my head as I groan in protest.

"C'mon, you have to get up," he murmurs. "Before Tyler figures anything out."

I pout up at him, turning around to wrap my arms around his waist, resting my chin on his chest. "No," I whine like a five year old. "I wanna stay here with you."

He smiles at me, running his fingers through my blue hair. I lean into his touch, sleepy and fuzzy inside. Until I met Luke, I was the most innocent person on campus. But since the night we met at that party, he's been my first for everything. Everything, except for the title I wish was his; boyfriend.

"I'm not kidding, Iz, you gotta get up." Luke tries to pry my arms from around his waist, laughing when I cling to him even tighter. "I love lying here too, but we have to get up." I frown but slide off of the bed, stooping to pick up my clothes that spent the night on the floor. "Maybe someday," he says, giving me a sad smile.

Pulling my shirt over my head, I bounce back to give him one last kiss before slipping out the door. Tyler's still passed out on the couch, fast asleep. We're really lucky that he's such a deep sleeper; otherwise he might have heard me and Luke last night.

I grab bacon and eggs from the refrigerator, setting them down on the island next to the loaf of bread. Humming under my breath, I put a few slices in the toaster, stretching up onto my toes to reach a pan on a high shelf. Cursing when I can't reach it, I jump a little. My fingers just barely brush the bottom of the shelf.

A warm arm goes around my waist while another reaches up and gets the pan down. Luke smiles at me as he passes me the pan, squeezing my waist gently as he pulls away, taking a seat on the counter. I bite down on my lip sharply to make myself focus, ignoring how weak my knees feel. Luke watches as I scramble the eggs and throw the bacon in the oven, the expression on his face completely changing the second my brother walks into the kitchen.

"Smells good, Iz," Ty says with a smile as he leans against the counter next to Luke. Looking over at my roommate, he continues, "So what kind of music does your band play?"

Luke shifts a bit uncomfortably, covering it up with a smile. His body is turned toward me, but his eyes never flicker away from Tyler's. "We do a lot of punk rock covers, but our original songs are more in the genre of pop punk, no matter how much Michael insists that we're punk rock."

"You do original music? That's really cool." Ty leans forward intently. "Have you written any your songs personally?"

Ducking his head, Luke mumbles, "Yeah, but the ones I've written by myself are all new and haven't been performed yet. I've helped write lots of the ones we perform at gigs though, but I wouldn't call them my songs. They were a team effort."

I try not to appear too interested in whatever songs he's been writing recently, distracting myself by pulling my hair back into a ponytail. If I had realized where my true feelings lay just a little sooner, I wouldn't be stuck in this situation, constantly walking a tightrope. It's a deadly dance Luke and I are involved in, secretly kissing when no one's around. The fact that he's my roommate makes it even harder to stay away from him, knowing that I can walk across the hallway and he'll be there.

Cutting off the stove, I look back at the two boys sitting on the counter. "Can you two help me carry stuff to the table?"

Luke pushes himself back to the ground, grabbing the pan of eggs from my hand, brushing his fingers against mine. I try to remain nonchalant, handing the plate of toast to Tyler as he walks out. The window next to the dining table lets in the late morning sun as we all take our seats. I sit beside my brother to avoid drawing attention to my involvement with Luke, ignoring how badly I wish I was sitting next to him. Luke stretches out a leg underneath the table and hooks his ankle around mine, smiling slightly to himself as he sets a piece of toast on his plate.

"Izzy, how'd you meet Ashton?" Tyler looks expectantly at me while he takes a sip of his juice, flipping a piece of his dark hair out of his eyes.

Luke drops the smile, and I move my foot against his reassuringly. "Through Tori. She dragged me to the same party I met Luke at, actually," I say, gesturing across the table toward my unlikely roommate. "She had a crush on their band's lead guitarist and since the band was performing that night, she brought me."

Tyler frowns as he looks back and forth between me and Luke. "I'm confused. How did you become roommates? It wasn't at that party, was it?"

Luke shakes his head. "No, I actually used to share an apartment with the rest of my band, but it was kind of crowded so I left. Izzy had a spare room and she let me stay here, as long as I helped with expenses and stuff."

"Sounds like she straightened you out a bit," Ty jokes.

My roommate grins, casting a glance at me across the table. "Oh, you have no idea."