14

To give my hands something to do to take my mind off of what transpired last night, I make breakfast despite the fact that it's nearly lunchtime. The smell of cooking food wakes Luke up and he shuffles down the hallway, yawning. I can't help the blush from spreading across my cheeks at his presence. Goddammit. He's wearing those gray sweatpants he looks so good in and a worn light blue shirt that I wonder if it feels as soft as it looks.

Luke looks a little bit anxious as he takes a seat at the kitchen island, fidgeting with his hands. "Izzy, about what happened-"

"It was a mistake," I finish firmly for him, sharply setting down a plate of pancakes in front of him. "No one can know, especially not Ashton."

He scowls, raking a hand through his messy hair. I have to clench my hands into fists to keep them at my sides. "Fine, but you can't tell me that you didn't like it. I know you did."

Losing the venom in my tone, I nearly scream in frustration, "It doesn't matter what I liked. I'm dating Ashton, not you." He flinches slightly and a small pang of guilt runs through me, but I force myself to ignore it. "And I can't just cheat on him."

Shoving himself off of the stool so quickly and violently that the stool topples over, Luke backs me up into the counter, getting all up in my face. "So break up with him," he says impatiently, giving up on the polite tone. "I bet you didn't kiss him like that. I bet you didn't want him like that. You can keep lying to yourself, Isabelle, but deep down you know that you don't like him the way a girlfriend should."

"I can't hurt him like that," I say desperately, hoping he'll understand. "He's far too nice. I can't just break up with him after two days."

Luke seems satisfied with that answer, a slight smile curving his lips as he lets his hands travel down to my hips. I inhale sharply when he squeezes there lightly and he smirks. "So wait then. I can think of ways to pass the time."

He starts making slow circles with his lips on my neck and I find it hard to concentrate. "Luke," I murmur, tilting my head to give him a better angle. He hums in response against my skin and I shiver. "Remember when I told you that my brother was coming to visit for a few days? He's coming today and I didn't tell him I had a roommate."

Pulling away from me, he frowns. "Why would you do that?"

"He's... protective," I say, fumbling for the right word. "He'll assume that something's going on if I tell him that you're my roommate."

"Isn't something already going on?" Luke murmurs as he kisses the corner of my mouth.

I shudder and draw him closer, bringing his lips to mine. Kissing Ashton never felt like this. I never wanted Ashton this badly. It's just the thrill of doing something I'm not supposed to, I tell myself. But I know it's not.

"You can't tell me that you feel this way about him," he says again, looking me dead in the eyes. When I open my mouth but no sound comes out, Luke tightens his grip on me ever so slightly, making sure to stay gentle. "Admit it, Izzy."

I bite my lip, swallowing hard. "If we're going to do this, we have to be careful, Luke. Ashton can never find out. I-I have to wait at least a month before I break up with him. And my brother can't know. He'd hurt you."

"I'm willing to take my chances," he murmurs against my lips.

"I mean it, Luke!" I say, hitting his chest lightly.

Blue eyes the color of the ocean stare intently into mine, as if I was a puzzle and he was trying to figure me out. I ignore the weak feeling in my knees, forcing my eyes to stay on his instead of trailing down to his lips. "Why do you even care?" he whispers, repeating my words from last night.