24

"Mom, I'm fine, honestly." Luke stumbles slightly as he flops down on the couch, looking up at his mother. They released him from the hospital an hour ago and Tori came by to get her stuff, heading back up to Stanford. Michael and Calum went back to their place to deal with Ashton after making sure that their friend was all right. Now it's just me, Luke and his mother in our apartment. "You don't have to baby me," Luke adds with a frown as his mom reaches out to move his hair out of his eyes.

Liz sighs. "I know, but I'm a mother, it's what I do." Locking eyes with me, she says, "You'll take good care of him?"

Luke groans but we both ignore him.

"Of course," I promise, giving her a smile. "A roommate's job is never done."

His mom smiles back at me, stepping away from the couch. "I'm glad you have her as a roommate, Lukey," she says as she bends down to kiss his head. "Come visit sometime, okay, honey?" With that, she leaves, shutting the door gently behind her.

Unable to contain myself any longer, I jump into Luke's arms. He nuzzles his head in the crook between my neck and shoulder, clutching me so close that I almost can't breathe. But I don't mind in the slightest.

"I'm so sorry," I say, finally letting the tears flow freely. "I never meant for you to get hurt."

"Hey, hey, it's okay," he murmurs back, rubbing circles on my back soothingly. "I know you didn't. No one expected him to do that. Don't blame yourself, Izzy." He pulls back slightly to look me in the eyes, swallowing hard. "I-I have something I need to tell you."

My heart kicks into overdrive, but I just nod for him to continue.

"I... I'm in love with you," he breathes, smiling shyly at me.

I kiss him roughly, my legs straddling his hips. His mouth moves against mine, desperate to get more. The tears that were spilling down my cheeks just seconds ago run into our mouths and I taste salt. Drawing back slightly, I whisper, "I'm in love with you too."

Luke pulls me back in for another kiss, making a little noise in the back of his throat. His hands grip my hips tight enough for me to feel pressure, but gentle enough not to hurt. Never breaking the kiss, his hands slide down to lift me up and we stumble down the hallway. I wrap an arm around the back of his neck as he kicks his bedroom door shut. My hands slide up his sides and I moan as he kisses a line across my collarbone, sucking gently at the skin, careful not to leave a mark behind. But I don't care anymore. Not after almost losing him.

Those long nights where he was unconscious, I truly learned how I deeply I felt about him. I woke up from bad dreams with tears streaming down my face, quickly turning into a panic attack when I remembered that Luke wasn't sleeping peacefully in the room across the hallway from me. Even Tori's presence didn't help much.

I clutch Luke closer as I slip a hand beneath his shirt, enjoying the feeling of his muscles moving as he kisses me. Whispering his name, I arch up off of the bed to hook a leg around his hip. He groans against me as I play with his lip ring with my tongue, grinning when he kisses me even harder. Our legs are a tangled mess as we both strain to get even closer, twisting around each other.

The door bursts open and we freeze, my blood running cold. "Luke, have you seen Iz-" Ashton breaks off, staring in shock at us making out on Luke's bed. His surprise quickly turns into anger. "What the fuck is going on here?!" he yells.

"Ash, I-" I start, but he cuts me off.

"You're fucking cheating on me?" he demands harshly, still shouting. "With him?" Ashton storms across the room and I shift to sit in front of Luke, shielding him with my body. He's been through enough without Ashton putting him in a hospital again. My boyfriend laughs bitterly when he notices my movement. "Of course you're with him. All the signs were there, I just didn't see them." His jaw is clenched in anger and I tighten my grip on Luke, determined to protect him this time.

Calum stands in the doorway behind Ashton, looking in between me and Luke in complete and utter shock.

Ashton looks downright livid as he grabs my wrist and throws me to the floor. I cry out in pain as my elbows and knees slam in the ground sharply, grimacing. Luke gets to his feet, but Ashton shoves him into the nearest wall. Wincing as Ash slams him into the wall again and again, Luke lets out a small whimper that tears at my heart.

I scramble to my feet, pulling at Ashton's shoulder. "Stop!" I say, tears streaming down my face. "Please! Don't hurt him."

My boyfriend releases Luke and he falls to the ground, wincing in pain. I don't move as Ashton storms up to me, fury blazing in his hazel eyes. "How could you, Izzy? You were supposed to be mine."

"Maybe if you treated her right, she would be," Calum snaps, coming out of whatever daze he's been in. Pointing to the bruises on my leg exposed by my spandex shorts, he says, "Look what you've done. You hurt her and now she's scared to break up with you. Of course she turned to someone else, of course she cheated on you instead of breaking up with you. Look at yourself."

Ashton stares down at me with a strange expression and I hide behind my hair, sniffling as I try to hold back my tears. Luke is still on the floor, expression twisted in pain. I look back up at my boyfriend. "Do whatever you want to me," I whisper, "but don't touch him."

It's silent for a beat before Ashton speaks. "We're done," he says, turning and stalking out of the room. I hear the front door slam shut and wince.

Calum glances back at us, still incredulous. "I can't believe what I just walked in on. You two? I never would have guessed."

"That was kind of the point, Cal," Luke mutters, wincing as he gets to his feet. I rush over to him and he pulls me into a tight hug, burying his face in my hair.

Calum clears his throat uncomfortably. "So, does this mean that you're done playing around with random girls?" he asks.

Luke looks up at him, smiling softly. "Calum, I haven't seen a random girl in weeks. I have the only one I want right here." I blush, pressing my face into his shoulder to hide it. I'm finally free from Ashton, free to date whoever I want. But I know that I can't escape him entirely; he's tied too tightly to the band to truly disappear forever.

Smiling, Calum starts to back up, shaking his head from side to side. "Well, continue with your makeout session. I'm really happy for you guys," he adds sincerely as he closes the door gently behind him.

"Are you okay?" I ask Luke as soon as I hear the front door shut.

He nods against me, pulling me over to the bed. I look quizzically at him as he sets me down and stares directly into my eyes. "You have no idea how long I've waited for this," he says slowly with a boyish smile spreading across his face. Shifting slightly to pretend to be dramatic, he clears his throat. I giggle quietly. "Isabelle Williams," he says grandly, "will you be my girlfriend?"

"Yes," I reply with a grin as I put my arms around his neck. "I will be your girlfriend, Luke Hemmings."

I can feel his smile as he kisses me, moving to hover over top of me while I lie on my back. I strip off his shirt, throwing it to the floor as I arch up against him. He trails a line of kisses across my jaw, traveling down my neck to suck on the soft skin. This time he leaves a mark and I return the favor to him, kissing all over his chest. It feels so good to know that I'm his and he's mine, that we don't have to worry about someone walking in or whether someone will see the lovebites on our skin.

Luke Hemmings's girlfriend. Now that's a title I can get used to.