♦️Chapter Ten - I Can Do This♦️

The scar placement on Red's leg, taken by James Hall on his blog
Song: Skyscraper (instrumental) - The O'Neill Brothers Group/Demi Lovato (Acoustic Guitar Chart Hits)
Word Count: 1170
     "You seem to be coping really well," Nonna spoke from where she sat in the armchair.

     "I don't really have any other option. The sooner this all ends, the sooner my life goes back to normal," I said, handing up a red dress in my closet.

     "Are you serious?" I turned to look over at a shocked Akia. "Red, you do realize that there is no "normal" that you can go back to, right?"

     Eiden nodded. "This is your new normal now."

      I shook my head, going back to my suitcase. "No, no, absolutely not!" I chuckled, pulling out three shirts and walking over to my dresser. "No, everything is going to be fine after this."

     "Red..." I didn't look at Nonna as I shoved the dresser drawer closed. "How can you expect things to be normal after this?"

     I fought back the growing tears as I zipped up my suitcases and tucked them into my closet. "Well, no one really has to know...what I am."

        "Are you kidding? Nearly everyone knows!"

      I straightened from my squat, turning to look back at Akia. "What?"

     Eiden sighed, placing a hand on his sister's shoulder, before scooting over on the bed, giving me room to sit between the two of them. "Do you really think those Bathildes found you by chance?"

      "I was hoping...but what does that mean?" I slowly sat down on the bed, pulling my legs to my chest.

     Akia grabbed my hand, both of us turning towards Nonna as she spoke up; "your school is composed not just of Hermanns, but Wilhemines and Barrins as well."

     "Well, I figured that out when I found out what these two are." I motioned to the twins sitting beside me.

      "Yes, but unlike Eiden and Akia, not everyone is a Gervais. Bathildes went to school with you, too."

     I still need to get used to this vocabulary. "So you're saying that I go, er-went to school with people who want to either kill me or stand beside me?"

     Eiden and Akia looked at each other again, a habit that was really starting to annoy me, before the former nodded. "Yes, essentially."

     "Great," I muttered, hiding my face in my hands. "I really love that."

    "Red." Nonna stood up and walked over to me." You know that you can't go back to being who you were after this. You can't go back to being Red Monroe-"

       "And why not? I don't want to give up my life, it's mine! I don't want to have to stay and be a goddess because that's what everyone wants me to do. I just want to go back to being a high school junior and a photography student." My voice was cracking from my emotions as tears spilled from my eyes.