♦️Chapter Twelve - Going to Dinner♦️

Red's outfit for the dinner, made by me on the Fashmates app (core_of_gore)
Song: I Found You (Instrumental) - UTAH, Jacob Steele
Word Count: 1208
***
Author's Note:
Hi again! I'm sorry this update is so short, I just wanted to get this chapter out. The last time I updated was November (I believe) so it's about time. Thank you to all who are still here to read this note, and happy reading!
***

"Alright, how precious is this dinner that I have to wear a dress?"

"I thought you liked dresses?"

"I do, but I normally don't have to wear them unless it's a special occasion."

"Well, I suppose this is a special occasion, then."

I raised my eyebrows, sucking at my teeth as I took the burgundy a-line dress from Akia. Stepping into my closet, I took off my robe and got changed quickly, already having put on my undergarments and some black spandex shorts. Frowning at my reflection in the full-length mirror, I also pulled out a gold, braided chain belt from my drawer, securing it around my waist before I opened my closet door.

"Ooh, look at you, you little fashionista," Akia cooed, grinning as she walked into the closet with me.

"Shut up, just help me finish getting ready," I grumbled, slipping my socks back on. Akia grinned, looking towards my shoes. Silently, she pulled out a pair of black ankle boots with a gold zipper on the side, also grabbing my black leather jacket from its hanger and handing both of them to me. "Alright, and I suppose I'm wearing these."

"Just put them on, pick out some gloves, and then sit down at your vanity. I'll do your hair and makeup." Akia wiggled her hands, forcing me to take the shoes and jacket from her. I quickly zipped up my shoes and made my way over to my dresser, tugging on the jacket as I sifted through the top drawer, looking through my multiple pairs of gloves. Settling on a dark grey knitted pair, I walked back into my closet, sitting at the dark oak vanity.

"Thank god you're doing this, I only know how to braid and do some basic makeup," I mumbled, pulling on the gloves.

"That's precisely why I'm here."

     Sitting down at the vanity, I pulled my hair out of its high ponytail and stared at Akita's reflection in the mirror. She looked so focused, biting her lip as she combed through my long hair.

You couldn't even tell that she wasn't human.

"So who are we having dinner with?" I asked, watching as Akia picked up a curling iron.

"Some close friends of your and our family. The Fagras," she responded, not even batting an eye.

       "Oh, you mentioned them earlier.  Aren't they a Wilhemine family?"

     "Yep, you're learning!"

      "Why are we going to have dinner with them?"

      "I told you, they're very close to our families, they wanted to meet you."

      "When you say family, do you mean Nonna or... my parents?"

      "Both."

     I frowned, shifting my gaze from Akia's reflection to my own. I stared at my bright red hair pitch black eyes, wondering how on earth I was lead to believe that I was human for so long.

      I'm not human.

      Closing my eyes and taking a deep breath, I shoved down the growing anxiety and the tears that wanted to emerge. Swallowing the lump that formed in my throat, I looked back at Akia, who was holding a thin comb between her teeth as she continued to curl my hair.

"Why is this a fancy dinner?" I asked.

"Well, it's...I actually don't know." Akia mumbled around the comb.

I frowned. "Then why are we getting dressed up?"

"Um...why not?"

"Fair enough." I shrugged. Akia set down the curling iron, unplugging it, before using the back end of the comb to separate some of the curls, fluffing them all up a bit. "I think it looks nice."

      "Why thank you." Akia grinned, spinning me around in my seat. "Now close your eyes."

       Doing as I was told, I sat in the chair, patting my thighs and humming to myself as Akia applied layers of makeup to my face, eyes, and lips. When she finished, she showered my face in setting spray, before turning me towards the mirror.

"What do you think?" She asked.

Opening my eyes, I examined the makeup. My eyes were a shimmering rose gold that transitioned to a dark red, almost black color. My lips matched, being a dark red as well. Overall, I thought it looked rather nice.

Granted, it doesn't take a lot to impress me.

"I like it," I grinned, rising from the chair. "Now, are you ready to go?"

Akia simply nodded, grabbing my hand and pulling me out of my closet and through the hallways, shouting for Nonna and Eiden as she went.

*~*~*
      "I wasn't aware that they were coming," I grumbled, glaring at the two Vollon brothers, lead by a constantly-smirking Casper and a sheepishly-grinning Levi. There were three other people behind them, a young boy and girl, the former holding a baby.

      "In our defense, we didn't know either." Eiden rolled his eyes, meeting the stare of Casper dead-on.

"Well well well, look who it is," that infuriating voice spoke. "Are you coming to this dinner as well?"

"Yes." Akia stepped forward. "Why are you here?"

"Why, Marcuco asked us to come."

"I don't know why, this dinner is for Red."

"Ask him I suppose. It may have something to do with the fact that he raised us."

"Cap," Levi hissed, grabbing onto his brother's bicep. "Calm down, you know how important this is for Marcuco."

Looking at his brother, Casper rolled his eyes, before turning back to us. Without a word, he turned and walked up the steps to the porch we were standing in front of. Levi sighed, before stepping up to it. "Red, you've never met the rest of my siblings. That's Sarai-" he pointed to the young girl who looked to be about sixteen with a curly bob of brown hair and a bright smile to match, "that's Bordeaux-" he pointed to the boy, who was maybe about ten years old, "and this little cutie is Emery." Levi took the baby from Bordeaux and cradled her in his arms, showing her to us with a large grin. I sheepishly waved at the baby, and began to smile when the infant giggled back.

I glanced back at Akia and Eiden, before the whole group of us ascended the stares, where an impatient Casper was waiting. Levi handed Emery back to his little brother before he knocked on the door, and not even three seconds later a woman opened the door.

She was an older woman, with dark skin and short, black hair.  A grin spread across her red lips as she pulled Levi and Casper into her arms. She then turned to Akia and Eiden, the two calling her "Uvoca," before hugging her. Then her eyes set on me, who may or may not have been cowering behind my friends. Her dark eyes widened, her mouth dropped, and only one word passed as she stared at me in utter suprise.

     "Aglæca?"