Chapter Five

{the lab}

It was time to begin the experiments, time for Taehyung to begin running his tests to come up with a reasonable explanation as to how the virus has been kept dormant in Jungkook for so long. "You sure you're okay with this?" Taehyung spoke up, flicking the needle with his gloved hands as he turned towards the brunette. 

Hopping up on the bed, Jungkook gave a thumbs up in reassurance, "A few needles won't hurt... I'll be fine." he chuckled, playfully nudging the scientist's shoulder in an attempt to lighten up the tense atmosphere. It was just earlier today that they'd decided to turn one of the four bedrooms into a makeshift science lab. With the assistance of his cousin, Taehyung had managed to set up his equipment. But it was still so little compared to the amount of things he left back in the van. 

Letting out a huff, Taehyung came to the realisation that they'd definitely need more equipment and sterilisation gear if he wanted to carry out the procedure safely. So placing the needle back down on the tray, Taehyung called for the one person he knew he could trust when it came to the topic of science, "Yo Jin!" Tae shout. 

The sounds of slow footsteps grew louder until a familiar brunette male rounded the corner, letting out a tired yawn as he ruffled his bed hair, "What's happening?" he asked, turning towards his cousin. 

Letting out a sigh, Taehyung crossed his arms over his form, "We need more equipment to run the experiments safely." he began to explain, gesturing towards Jungkook sitting up on the bed, "Are you able to pull a small group together and head back to the science facility?" he asked, biting down on his lower lip at the daring request, "There should be sterilised tools still kept away in the lab. Besides, I also need to make up a few more batches of the temporary vaccine, we've only got enough to last another two or three months at most... I wanna be safe." 

Gnawing at the inside of his cheek, Jin gave a reluctant nod, "Sure, I'll try and get a car up and running with Tessa." he announced, straightening himself up, "I'll head out with her and Joon." he smiled hesitantly, turning on his heels and heading out the bedroom door.

-----

It didn't take long for Tessa to fix up a nearby car. Long blonde hair tied back messily in a high ponytail, Tessa tweaked around with the rusted old car. It didn't take long for the engine to sputter to life, a horrible coughing sound like that of a dying old man. With a loud roar, a cloud of smoke blasted out from the exhaust pipe. Tessa's eyes watered and she coughed violently before giving a quick thumbs up, "Ready to go!" she smiled, slamming the front bonnet shut and giving it a tap. 

Namjoon smiled, two small dimples piercing at the sides of his cheeks as he made his way to the side of the car, "Lets get a move on before dark." he spoke up, opening the door and sliding into the front passenger seat. 

Jin made his way into the drivers seat, buckling up his seatbelt and placing his hands tightly on the cool leather of the steering wheel, "Oh please," he uttered, rolling his eyes at the taller male, "We've got ages before dark." 

Watching the two bickering males, Tessa slipped herself into the centre of the back passenger seat, not bothering with her seatbelt as she leant forwards, "Don't jinx us." she chuckled, "Lets just get a move on." she muttered, slipping her elastic band from her head as she let her hair down. As Tessa tucked her loose strands of hair behind her ears, Jin placed a steady hand against the gears of the car, switching the vehicle into drive and pressing down lightly against the accelerator. 

Namjoon and Tessa both flinched as the car jerked forwards, but were quick to relax back into their seats when the vehicle steadied itself, tires hissing along the dirt. As the car engine sung to the lone country road, Namjoon rolled down his window, relishing the roaring winds that twirled in his tousled hair and whistled in his ears. He'd oddly felt at peace the past week. After the incident at the science lab, he'd done nothing but lounge around all day, something he hadn't done since god knows when. He wished it could stay that way, living a simple life.