Final

{cheers}

"So..." Yoongi piped up, eyes slightly squinted in pain as Seokjin tended to the dressing of his bullet wound. The squad had decided not to leave the lab in fear of the blizzard raging outside. Through the small windows of the lab, they could barely make out the scenery in the blasting wind of white and grey. Still shivering, Yoongi turned to the male at his side, "Did you actually give them the cure?"

From the bed beside him, Taehyung let out a snort erupting into a fit of unexpected laughter as he let out his famous boxy grin, "Of course not!" he smiled, head rested against his propped up pillows as he turned towards the blue haired male beside him. Yoongi couldn't help but let his lips part in awe, for all the years he'd known the male, Taehyung had always maintained a cold expression with a stone hard voice but now, it was almost as if Taehyung was a completely different person. 

Taehyung calmed himself as his eyes drifted to the ceiling, "Do you really think someone like me would actually hand over the cure?"

Yoongi let out a chuckle, "definitely not."

Taehyung smirked, "I was just hoping to turn them all into infected so they'd kill one another."

Scoffing, Yoongi's brows furrowed into a frown, "They might not be as smart as us, but I don't think they would've been dumb enough to fall for that."

Taehyung shrugged, "Worth a shot." Lifting a hand, Taehyung brought his fingers to his neck, brushing them softly along the bruises flourishing against his skin, "We needed to try anything in order to survive." he muttered, earning a frown from Seokjin who was finishing up his dressing on Yoongi's shoulder. 

Face falling, Yoongi bit down on his lower lip, "Sorry for scaring you back then... you know-" he sucked in a sharp breath of air, "by shooting at you."

Shaking his head, Taehyung let a small smile creep over his expression, "I deserve it... for the way I treated you in the past." 

Yoongi's eyes flickered over to meet Taehyung, "truce?"

"truce." Taehyung nod, letting himself relax into the bed he was laying in. 

With a small creak, the door to the medical bay slowly swung open, a familiar blonde haired female poking her head through the door, "I hope we're not intruding?" she murmured, a chorus of whispers behind her signalling that the rest of the squad was here as well. 

Letting out a soft chuckle, Seokjin turned away from Yoongi's bed and towards the door, "Not at all." he smiled, "come in."

With light steps, Tessa was first to enter, hand intertwined with Namjoon's as she pulled the male inside behind her. Following the couple, Hoseok was next to enter, treading over to one of the corners of the room and leaning against the wall, crossing his arms over his form as he watched the squad converse. Last through the door was Jimin and Jungkook, worried forms quickly finding their partners and seating themselves by their bedsides. 

Jimin was quick to stumble over to Yoongi, "I told you..." he muttered, leaning over Yoongi's form, "I'd actually be of use in saving you some day." 

Rolling his eyes, Yoongi reached out an arm, tugging Jimin down by his side onto the bed. The blonde felt heat rise to his cheeks as Yoongi ran a hand through his locks, smiling as he came face to face with him. "Thank you Jimin." he let out a low chuckle at his next words, "and nice headshot might I add." 

From the metal bed across from them, Jungkook took a seat by Taehyung's bedside. The younger was draped in a large winter coat, skin still slightly more ashen in colour compared to how it use to be. However his lips were no longer purple in colour as the heat returned to his face. He sat there wordless, unable to form a sentence as he stare at Taehyung's battered and bruised form. But luckily for him, Taehyung didn't mind, raising an arm as he brought his hand to the back of Jungkook's head, pulling him into his chest as he stroked the younger male's hair. 

Sometimes no words said the most. 

Standing beside Namjoon, Tessa could feel the grim atmosphere soaking her up, "So what now?" she breathed, leaning into Namjoon's side for reassurance. 

And like a tidal wave washing into shore, it hit them. They didn't know what to do, how to go forwards past this day. As of this moment everyone they'd encountered was selfish and self centred. They clawed and killed over the cure as if it would immediately solve all of their problems, like it was some kind of miracle. Humanity had sunk into something so low, reverting back into wild animals almost. 

Hoseok ran a hand stressfully through his hair, "Before the cure, humanity treated each other with respect, sharing supplies and forming close connections was the norm." he began to explain, gaining the squads attention, "But as soon as word of the cure arose, everyone turned, humanity lost themselves."

Taehyung let out a sad sigh, "I agree." he frowned, "Each and every squad use to be so welcoming to me... and suddenly they all wanna kill me." he chuckled lowly, a non humorous chuckle as his eyes drifted over to the window. 

There was a moment of shared silence between the squad, the only prominent sound being the howling of the winds outside the science lab. Tightening his hold on Tessa, Namjoon let out a single breath, "Natural Selection." he spoke, no expression in his flat voice as the squad's gaze snapped over towards him. "I know it's cruel, but every species will die out eventually." he began to explain, earning an intrigued look from Taehyung. "Humans are cruel, and the world would only be more cruel with the cure." he spoke up, rubbing a gentle hand over Tessa's arm, "It sounds harsh and all... but if we found the cure, we would never be accepted as true leaders... so maybe-" he paused as he sucked in a breath of air, eyes falling closed as he steadied himself, "maybe we shouldn't find a cure."

Namjoon was right, spot on with his words. Ever since the cure arose, the fight for power once again took over humanity. Ever since the outbreak mother nature had been reclaiming its rightful land, nature returning to its former glory. Namjoon had no doubt that one day humanity would surely rise again, there was no way they were going to die out. They would come to power once again, even without the cure. 

Taehyung sat up in place, slightly grunting as he faced the group, "No matter how close we ever came to finding the cure, lets just forget about it." he began to speak up, turning his gaze towards the worried males, "I have enough notes to create a longer lasting temporary cure now that we're in the science lab... we don't have to worry about supplies either with our close distance to town." he announced, helping the squad come to realise that they could live on their own. "Lets just live here... happily in our own little town, knowing that no one else can cross the city." he smiled, "we're safe here."

The squad soaked in Taehyung's words. This was the male who created the temporary cure, the man who had spent the last four years of his life dedicating himself to finding a cure for humanity. Taehyung had prioritised his research over everything else, so hearing him resign himself from the cause was almost baffling to the squad. But after what he'd gone through, after all he'd seen, it made sense. 

Breaking out into the widest of grins, Tessa swung her backpack from her shoulder, slipping out eight small water bottles and tossing it to each member. 

Catching a water bottle with a single hand, Jungkook grinned as he realised exactly what Tessa was proposing to the squad. So placing his hand against the bottle, Jungkook unscrewed the lid, raising the object out in front of him, "Here's to not finding a cure!" he shout, a large smile spreading over his features, lifting the dim atmosphere as the squad formed a small circle around one another. They joined together immediately, a hint of hesitation from both Seokjin and Taehyung before they joined as well. 

With wide smiles, the squad lifted their water bottles into the air, clanging them all together as the water sloshed around inside. 

And together they all cheered, 

"To not finding a cure!"

----------

/ Epilogue out now /