Chapter Fifteen

{forever runaways}

As Namjoon stumbled down the hallway, the world was as silent as the night. The sun was still resolutely below the horizon, only producing a dim, purplish hue of light as it slowly begun to rise. 

Rounding the corner into the kitchen, Namjoon closed his eyes, feeling the heady pull of his dreams beckoning him back to bed. But he refused to give into the calling of sleep, not when it was his turn on breakfast duty. 

Namjoon turned groggily towards the candles placed on the kitchen bench, slipping a box of matches out from his pocket before striking one against the side of the box. A small flame erupted from the stick, a pool of golden light flooding the room as he lit a couple of candles, shaking out the flame atop the matchstick. 

With sluggish movements, Namjoon let out a yawn as he made his way over to the kitchen cupboards, reaching high as he opened them up. Lazily, Namjoon took a bowl into his hands, not noticing the surface slipping out from his grasp until it was too late. Namjoon gasped as the porcelain bowl began to fall, but was quick to let out a breath of relief when a familiar smaller hand came into view, catching the bowl just before it smashed against the ground. 

"God Namjoon, why do I always have to catch you almost breaking something?" Tessa lectured, straightening herself up as she placed the bowl carefully against the kitchen countertop. 

Namjoon let out a low chuckle, "Key word... 'almost'"

Tessa rolled her eyes at the male's remark, "You know it'd be broken if I wasn't here." she replied, standing on her tippy toes as she went to reach for a small jar of instant coffee. 

Reaching into a lower cupboard, Namjoon brought out a small kettle, filling it with water before placing it on top of the gas stove, leaving the water to boil, "I guess you're right." he muttered, watching as Tessa began preparing breakfast alongside him. "By the way... thanks for coming along with me." Namjoon spoke up, causing Tessa to pause mid pouring her coffee as she registered Namjoon's sincerity. "You know... for leaving Beta behind even if it meant becoming a wanted person. Thanks." he smiled, two small dimples piercing at the sides of his cheeks. 

Tessa rose a hand to her mouth as she tired to hold back a small chuckle, "You're welcome," she spoke, still pouring her coffee, "as second in command where you go I go." Tessa returned Namjoon's smile, but it was quick to fall from her face when she realised how much water she was pouring into her mug. "Shit!" Tessa cursed as her eyes flickered back to her drink, realising that water was beginning to spill over the rim of the mug and flood over the kitchen bench. 

Namjoon's eyes widened when he picked up on the situation, "I-I'll clean it up, you finish pouring the drinks." he spoke, quickly fetching a paper towel and wiping up the puddle of water. Luckily Tessa had noticed quickly, so Namjoon managed to clean it up without any issues. 

"Good morning~" A new male voice sounded, voice slightly strained as a familiar head of orange hair stumbled into the kitchen, taking a seat at the bench. At this stage the sun was finally peeking over the valley, soft golden rays of the morning sun breaking through the holes of the tattered curtains and warming the house just a little more. 

"Hey Hoseok." Tessa chirped, mood lifted by the sight of the sunny male, "Here's a cup of coffee, but be warned... it may be bland." she chuckled, sliding a small white mug across the bench and into Hoseok's hands. 

A soft smile crept its way across Hoseok's lips as he absorbed the warmth of the mug, the heat acting like electricity as it sent its energy through the palms of his hands and through his skin. "Thanks, I really need it." he spoke, keeping it rested between his hands as he waited for the drink to cool down, "Especially after last night."

With his back facing Hoseok as he worked over the kitchen bench, Namjoon turned his head over his shoulder, "What happened last night?"

Hoseok removed a hand from his drink, resting his head against his palm, "Lets just say I accidentally locked someone in a room, then fell asleep at the door and forgot to let them out." he sighed, deciding his drink should be cool enough as he brought the beverage to his lips. He took a long sip before placing the mug back down against the table, "When I woke up and opened the door, I may or may not've ruined my eyesight."

Namjoon smirked, "Was it Taehyung and Jungkook?" he asked, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively before earning a smack on the shoulder from Tessa. 

Hoseok casually shook his head, "Nope." he spoke, popping the 'p' as he rose his drink once again, "Surprisingly enough it was actually Yoongi and Jimin. When I found them I was like seriously!? You had to go and-"

"Anddddd too much detail." Tessa cut in, waving her hands about to stop Hoseok from continuing on with his detailed explanation of the couple. Namjoon couldn't help but coo at how flustered Tessa's cheeks were at the mention. Raising her hands, Tessa combed her fingers through her hair, bringing it up before securing it in a loose pony tail. Dusting her hands against her sweatshirt, she moved over towards Namjoon, taking a bowl of oats from in front of him and passing it over to Hoseok. 

Taking the bowl and spoon into his hands, Hoseok gave a tired smile of thanks, digging into his breakfast. "Anyways, I've planned a couple of escape routes." he spoke, causing both Tessa and Namjoon to freeze in place. 

Namjoon peeled himself away from the opposite bench, shuffling over to Hoseok instead, "Do you really think Alpha will go this far?" he asked concerningly, elbows pressed against the table as he leant over towards Hoseok. 

Dropping his spoon into his bowl with a clink, Hoseok let out a sigh, "After seeing what Delta did, I'd say so." he stated, knowing that anyone could turn on them at any given time. 

Tessa crossed her arms over her chest, popping her hip out to the side as her gaze fell to the floor, "The world is selfish." she started, pausing before she decided to continue, "In the beginning, we all thought that seeking a cure would have a good outcome. But this is turning into a mess." she finished. 

Hoseok agreed, "Ever since I found Jungkook at Delta, my life- no, our lives have become chaotic." he explained, watching as his coffee began to go cold, "We have to watch out for not only infected, but squads too."

Namjoon straightened himself up, "We've just gotta accept it and move on." he uttered, 

"We're runaways now, and we're on our own."

---------------------------------

{Author Note}

It feels like forever since I did an update! 

Not gonna lie, I low key forgot seeing as I've been binge watching the anime 'Inuyasha' lately. I remember I was so caught up in the series that when Hoseok did his vlive, I straight up yelled at the notification to go away ahahaha! Love you Hobi xox

(unedited)