2

-
Chapter 2: The Tavern and Journey
-

As she stepped foot into her small cottage, Marinette caught the aroma of freshly baked bread. Her father's faint humming most likely came from the kitchen, and she saw her mother sweeping the floor. "Good morning mama! Papa! I'm back home" she announced. "Welcome back sweetheart! How was your morning at the market?" Her mom asked, putting aside the broom to hug her daughter.

"As great as it could be. I'm still getting lost in this small town though. But I saw Luka today and he invited me to go to the tavern to see him play. If it's ok I'd like to go see it tonight" she said. "You may! Oh that sweet boy! He drops by sometimes while you are with your friends to give us gifts of fresh flour from his friends shop for half the price! I really like this man you've seemed to pick up!" Her mom gleamed.

"Oh but mom he is too perfect for me! I need someone that isn't going to be swooned over by many. It's too much for me to handle. One thing could lead to another and he could dump me for another girl! I see the way Lila eyes him like he's the best pick of meat on the slab... Besides, my life would be far too sad if I had to live in the shadow of a man as perfect as him. I'm not trying to sound like I want to be more popular than him, no no no.. I just don't think I could ever make my life, selling my fashions and making something out of it with his big dreams" Marinette huffed, setting her basket down on the table. Her dad nodded agreeing with her statements.

"She had been raised this way, Sabine. Let her try and figure out what she wants... who knows, maybe life has something much more in store than just that picturesque life she dreams for. Maybe she'll find a way to get a good blend of both... who knows. Oh! By the way my sweet girl, your mother and I are leaving today for the grand festival in Paris happening in a few days! You remember this, right?" He said. "How could I forget, papa. It's been you two's biggest dream. Don't worry, I'll be fine. I'm a grown woman now. I think I could handle the house on my own. Just don't stay forever! I know how tempting Paris life looks!" She said.

"Alright. Well we'll be leaving in a few hours. So help us load the carriage and make sure to feed our horse" he said. She nodded and ran off to find the food for the horse. "Our daughter... I feel like something will change today that will make her have the biggest adventure of her life" Sabine giggled. "Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't shock her too much. She does deserve something big and grand for her life" he sighed and pats her shoulder.
————————

Marinette walked into the tavern after she had said goodbye to her parents. She looked around to find Alya sitting there, drinking a sparkling water. "Alya! You're here to see the band too?" She asked. "Oh hey Mari! Yeah, Rose invited me. This is Luka's big break too! The bass guitarist quit, and now they had to replace the old one with Luka. I've seen him play before, so I wonder why he hadn't been in the group before..." Alya sighed. "Well he's here now. Oh look, there he is!" Marinette said and raced to the front as a bunch of girls screamed. Alya was dragged too, and the two girls danced and sang as the band's music played loud throughout the night.
————————

The dark woods posed threats to the two travelers. Their horse had made it into the worst parts of the forest, as the two navigators were lost. "Maybe we should make a left here, Tom. There's this huge fork in the road and this is the road most treaded" Sabine sighed, yawning. "Yes, I see. But this right road it says here on the map that it's a shorter distance to Paris if we cut by this forest. It is the least treaded, but it's the most time efficient if we want to get there faster" he said. "Alright, dear. But I really hoped to stay in the inn in that town nearby. On this road there's no near towns for the next hundred kilometers" she sighed. He shrugged. "You can go to sleep in the wagon, Darling. I promise we will break at the next town on this road" he said. She sighed and went to the back of the wagon to sleep. He treaded onward on the path least taken.