4

-
Chapter 4: The Daughter
-

"Marinette! Oh Marinette!" Her mom yells through the crowd of people as she rode into town. She hops off the horse and tells it to go home. She knew her daughter was at the tavern, hearing her friend's band play. She knew she'd be there.

She ran in there, panting. "Sabine! What seems to be the trouble-" "I'm looking for my daughter, Marinette! Please I must tell her something" she interrupted the man. The man rubs his cheek. "Gee, Mrs. Dupain Cheng, I saw her leave after the concert finished. She left with her friends through the town. I heard something about going back to the Couffaine's household" the man said.

"Thank you so much" she huffed and ran. The Couffaine house wasn't too far from the tavern, and she reached in time to see her daughter just step inside. "Marinette!" She yelled. She spun around. "Mom! What happened?! Aren't you suppose to be with dad heading to Paris?" She yelled back, racing to her mom. Sabine fell on the ground, huffing. "Mom, you're injured!" Marinette noticed her mom's cuts from the thorns.

"Sweetheart, oh we were just... Heading to Paris and we stopped... At a palace and... And a monster..." She huffed. "Monster? Mom are you serious? Where's dad?" She asked. "At the castle... The monster took him" she sobbed. Marinette looked shocked with fear. Luka placed a hand on her shoulder and she looked up.

"Everything ok, Mari?" He asked. "I have to go. Mom, get inside and let Luka treat you. I need to save my father!" Marinette stood up and raced home. Luka blinked and helped Mrs. Dupain Cheng up.
------------------

Marinette raced on the horse to the castle. She depended on the horse to get her there fast and quick, even though it raced through the day and the night. She wished it could go faster. She really hoped her mom would be ok. She hoped her dad wouldn't be dead. She hoped many things.

She ended up in an area she wasn't familiar with and then she ended up in the clearing thirty minutes later. She didn't think she'd get here so fast. Was this castle so close by and they hadn't noticed?? Maybe it's because it kinda looked like a tall mountain.

She got off the horse and treaded up the stairs, thinking of her dad. Was he in here? How has this castle managed to stay hidden, it was only about an hour or so from town. She didn't even think she'd get here.. "Hello?!" She yelled as she entered the main doors into the grand foyer. Silence. Then she listened quietly to the creaking and the groaning of the castle.

Then the silent sobs that were the louder sound coming from almost nowhere. "Oh my poor papa!" She whispered and followed slowly but surely where she heard the sobs. Up a winding staircase, through scary halls and up some spiral stairs set in the castle spire and to the dungeons. The sobs grew louder and louder till she reached a dimly lit corridor that had jail cells.

"Papa!" She said when she saw her dad. He gasped and shook his head. "Oh no my poor daughter! Don't tell me you came to rescue me! I beg of you, please leave before he comes!" He said. "Papa, who?" She asked. "Me!" Came a loud boom of a voice. She stood up and looked into the shadows. "Who's there?!" She yelled.

She could see two glowing green eyes, like a cat in the night. "Step into the light" she remarked. He growled, sending shivers up her spine. He stepped in the light to illuminate the tall cat like creature that looked... Beastly. He loomed over her like a tower. He looked to be very strong, and very very mean. He snarled at her. "What are you doing here? Trying to rescue this fool?!" He sneered.

"Fool?! Don't call my papa a fool. I came here with the intent of setting him free. Or negotiating with you to set him free" she stood her ground, but inside she was terrified of the creature. Horrified. He raised a furry eyebrow in confusion. "Negotiating...? Are you insane? He's my prisoner and now you will be one too" he grabs her arm. "Please wait!" She yelled. He stopped.

"Let me take his place! He's wounded and needs help, badly. I am not, and I am more promising help than he is. I am young. He is old. Please!" She looked into the beast's eyes. He huffed. "You humor me. Fine. I'll let him go in your place. And since I have a bit of decency, you will have two minutes for goodbyes before I throw him out!" he roared and stormed away, throwing the keys at the floor.

Marinette fell back onto her knees and unlocked the cell, falling into her dad's arms. "Marinette what have you done! You basically sold your soul to him! Please let me take you with me" he said. "Dad, I'll be fine. I'll find a way out of here sure enough. I promise" she assured him, though she didn't know how difficult that could prove. He nodded.

"I love you Papa. I'll see you when I can. But please, just stay with Mama" she said and kissed his cheek. The beastly creature came back and yanks Marinette's dad while she sat there in disbelief. Then she started to cry. She couldn't believe it. One minute she was happy and actually had a dream in life, and the next she is sitting on the floor bawling her eyes out. Her future seemed ruined now.

The creature came back and grabs her by the arm too, pulling her onto her feet. "Where are you taking me, beast?" She said sternly, though her face was tear struck. "Don't call me that! I'm taking you to your cell, you will regret making your decision as I'll make your life feel non-existent" he hissed. She started protesting by crying again as he almost threw her into the cell.

She was left there, sobbing till the night turned to dawn.
--------------

Hi everyone! With this chapter, I've gotten 100 views!! Thank you so much for this!! I'm so glad that I got to publish again, and I was afraid that with not publishing anything in so long that I would lose some traction. But no, you guys are just too sweet! So thank you again and much love! Au revoir!

~Lemmix